Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Got some more 6.5-284 test loads ready to go this morning. 140gr Hornady SST in Hornady Brass.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

I got out to shoot today before the rain rolled in. Started with my carry pistol, then to my .357 Mag GP100. Finished off a box of reloads that had made it to the range three of four times so it was getting low. Next I brought out a .22 rifle i hadn’t shot in awhile and figured I should make sure it was still sighted in. Moved on to the .223 as I had a handful of random loads I hadn’t shot. Bottom of the box of some bullets I had been gifted to try. So I shot those one load was a 69gr Sierra Matchking and the other was a 75gr Hornady BTHP. There was under 6 of the Sierras and 11 of the Hornadys. After that I almost packed up and left but decided I might as well shoot the .338-06 since I brought it along. After testing loads for that over the past few months I figured I should finally rough sight-in now that I’ve picked a load. So at 105 yards, I shot two that told me where I was hitting. Adjusted to lower and move right and decided that was good enough for now until I take it out to 200 next time.

Both of the .223 were just a starting load loaded to book-length so I wasn’t expecting much out of them but weren’t terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jbotto; 05-16-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    I got out to shoot today before the rain rolled in. Started with my carry pistol, then to my .357 Mag GP100. Finished off a box of reloads that had made it to the range three of four times so it was getting low. Next I brought out a .22 rifle i hadn’t shot in awhile and figured I should make sure it was still sighted in. Moved on to the .223 as I had a handful of random loads I hadn’t shot. Bottom of the box of some bullets I had been gifted to try. So I shot those one load was a 69gr Sierra Matchking and the other was a 75gr Hornady BTHP. There was under 6 of the Sierras and 11 of the Hornadys. After that I almost packed up and left but decided I might as well shoot the .338-06 since I brought it along. After testing loads for that over the past few months I figured I should finally rough sight-in now that I’ve picked a load. So at 105 yards, I shot two that told me where I was hitting. Adjusted to lower and move right and decided that was good enough for now until I take it out to 200 next time.

Both of the .223 were just a starting load loaded to book-length so I wasn’t expecting much out of them but weren’t terrible.

What load did you settle on with the 338-06?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Not quite reloading, but my project at the bench today. Flash Hiders.jpg
    QD flash hiders installed in anticipation of the arrival of my SilencerCO Hybrid.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    What load did you settle on with the 338-06?

JTD
    Ha. Thanks for making me realize I forgot that detail. My gosh, this is a reloading site after all! My load is almost max load of Varget behind a 210gr Barnes TTSX

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    QD flash hiders installed in anticipation of the arrival of my SilencerCO Hybrid.
    Awesome!!!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Ha. Thanks for making me realize I forgot that detail. My gosh, this is a reloading site after all! My load is almost max load of Varget behind a 210gr Barnes TTSX

Have you been able to get a velocity on that? Should be a perfect all around round.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Have you been able to get a velocity on that? Should be a perfect all around round.

JTD
    Nope not yet. I need to buy a chronograph yet. I’ve ran an estimated velocity off load data and it looks like it runs out of effective velocity to open up the mono bullet between 350 and 400. At this point that’s farther than I’ll be shooting, even out west here. I’m hoping to get out in the next few months to get it out to 300 to see how it goes.

Last edited by Jbotto; 05-16-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Awesome! Those will handle that can beautifully!

Title
    Premium Member
    I haven’t sat down at the loading bench for a few days, but I did make it to the unloading bench the other day.

Took my new 5.56 pistol out to try. Won’t pick up the next round without the suppressor, but as soon as I put it on it’ll feed like a fat kid at a buffet. So I opened the gas port up just a touch, I’ll have to test it out some other time.

took my 308 out and broke some clays at 300 yards and beat up on my steel plate at 100y, that’s always fun.

I didn’t make it to the pistol side because the range got shut down when someone got hit (superficial) with an ND. Last I heard, the guy was fine luckily, but he did end up going to the hospital and we all had to give statements.

I really wish I had a place with a lot of land for a 300+ yard range, so I didn’t have to worry about the others at the range.

Last edited by Mbaker78; 05-17-2020 at 03:57 AM.