Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 32 of 80 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I had a great weekend. Lots of gun time. I loaded some hunting ammo for my 8x57, 150gr Hornady sp with IMR4064. I loaded test loads for 7.5x55, 375 whelen improved, and 6.5x55. I also may made up some test rounds for 45acp, and after shooting them today, I am very impressed with 230gr Xtreme RN with 4.9gr of W231 at 1.250”, in both my Glock and 1911. I got most of my starline 45-70 brass sized this morning too.

My 13 year old and I went to the range today, for pistol day. We took 9mm, 45acp, 357, 41mag, 44mag, and 45colt. We had a blast. It’s nice to see him improving every time we go out, he’s still got a ways to go but he does well.

JTD
    I love that round nose bullet!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Sounds like you had a great time, and some research and development done.

Have you ever tried loading 44 special loads in 44 magnum brass? I quit loading 44 and 38 specials years ago, and just use the magnum brass for both.

That’s nice that all of your loads cycled your AR. A lot of people struggle trying to get the subs to cycle. What kind of velocities were you getting with the subs?

JTD
    I am always afraid that I will end up with a load that might not ignite the powder with too much empty space. I had that problem in 45 colt once. I guess it boils down to choosing the right powder.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    I am always afraid that I will end up with a load that might not ignite the powder with too much empty space. I had that problem in 45 colt once. I guess it boils down to choosing the right powder.

What powder did that happen to you with?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    What powder did that happen to you with?

JTD
    185gr xtp, 8gr Unique.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post

Yeah, I guess this is something I hadn't thought about. One of my 44 special loads that was really soft was with Unique if I recall correctly. Thanks for a heads up on this, it make sense.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive used down to 7.0gr of unique in 45 colt with 250gr cast, and 44 magnum with 200gr cast. Ive never had a problem with unique in those big cases. Maybe since the 185gr is such a short bullet, it increased case volume just enough to cause a problem.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive used down to 7.0gr of unique in 45 colt with 250gr cast, and 44 magnum with 200gr cast. Ive never had a problem with unique in those big cases. Maybe since the 185gr is such a short bullet, it increased case volume just enough to cause a problem.

JTD
    I think that is what happened. Those 185gr xtp are short.

Title
    Premium Member
    Been a slow week for me. I finished prepping my starline 45-70 brass. Prepped and primed 100 45colt brass.

Next on the list is to load those 45 colts with trail boss and 250gr cast rnfp, load a mess of 45acp with 230gr xtreme rn and w231, load some 45-70 test loads with 325gr ftx, and prep a bunch of 41mag brass.

Title
    Premium Member
    Been a slow week for me. I finished prepping my starline 45-70 brass. Prepped and primed 100 45colt brass.

Next on the list is to load those 45 colts with trail boss and 250gr cast rnfp, load a mess of 45acp with 230gr xtreme rn and w231, load some 45-70 test loads with 325gr ftx, and prep a bunch of 41mag brass.
    It has been a little slow for me too. I did a small batch of 9mm and prepped some 44 mag brass. I did start cleaning a bunch of brass though.

Title
    Premium Member
    What’s next to do for you?

JTD