Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 23 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    I found a little more time for the bench and made up some 257 Roberts AI test loads with 117gr SST and H4831. Also loaded up some 7.5x55 test loads with 178gr ELDX and AA4350.

They look like they could be related.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Great bullets for 243, from what I’ve read everywhere. I remembered that you really like the non lead bullets, and was fully expecting the tsx to be your favorite.

JTD
    They have been great so far. My brother had borrowed that rifle for a couple years and seemed to do well at close range in MN. Under 60 yards sometimes they exit, sometimes not. Nothing ran more than 40 yards. About the same results we’ve had with a couple different jacketed lead bullets at those distances. Last weekend, my wife used it to shoot her pronghorn doe. 230 yards, both rounds that she shot at the doe entered,expanded, and exited. I wish I had taken a few pictures of the exits as they were exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I had some free time today and was able to throw together some test loads for my 250 savage, 100gr ballistic tips and W760, and 300 savage, 150gr Sierra pro hunter and IMR4064.

And just finished up some test loads for 257 Roberts, 117gr Hornady BTSP and H4350. These are being tested for seating depth.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

7mm Mauser test loads with 139gr Hornady SP and IMR3031, IMR4064, IMR4320, IMR4895, and H4895, are done. All are minimum charges from Hogdgons website. I’m hoping one will stand out from the others so I can work up a load for my 10 year olds rifle. I’m looking for 1.5” or better and mild recoil.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 10-05-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Today at the other bench. 180gn tc for the 10mm, and 600gn hp for the 458 socom.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesr160@yahoo.com View Post
    Today at the other bench. 180gn tc for the 10mm, and 600gn hp for the 458 socom.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Oh nice! Ive never cast my own bullets, but have always wondered about it. Maybe one of these days

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Been too long away from the bench and too busy with work, BUT I got 20 rounds of .30-06 brass trimmed with the lee lock stud and cutter while on the phone last night giving biased gun advice to my cousin. Ha! I haven’t used that trimmer by itself in awhile and got a blister from it. I put the stud back in the drill this morning to chamfer and debur them. Silly to not use the drill to trim. I won’t do that again! Have a great weekend!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Been too long away from the bench and too busy with work, BUT I got 20 rounds of .30-06 brass trimmed with the lee lock stud and cutter while on the phone last night giving biased gun advice to my cousin. Ha! I haven’t used that trimmer by itself in awhile and got a blister from it. I put the stud back in the drill this morning to chamfer and debur them. Silly to not use the drill to trim. I won’t do that again! Have a great weekend!

I used to use the lee trimmers on everything. They did a good job, but it was tedious. I haven’t used them in years and I don’t miss them.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    They are quicker for me than my Lyman large style trimmer so I use them quite a bit still. I don’t use them for any .223 as the brass varies so much and certain brands are bad for having off-center flash holes. I got tired of not noticing until after the brass was trimmed and the case mouth was cut so off-square that I’d junk the case. I like them as once the case is in the lock stud it’s a pretty easy process to chamfer and debur as well. Not the most efficient method by any means, but it works well enough. I’ve been meaning to order a custom length case length gauge from Lee for my .338-06 as when forming from .30-06 the brass is always a shorter than spec. If I got one made to the shorter length, I’d be able to trim them all the same so they start out consistent and then wait to see if they ever grow much after that.

Title
    Premium Member
    They definitely work well. I wore out so many of the cutters and lock studs. I didn’t realize you could get custom lengths made for them.

JTD