Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 22 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    After last weeks range outing, I had a few things to load up. I have my hunting ammo for this season all loaded up. 6.5x55 with 140gr Sierra SPBT Gamekings. 6.5-284 with 140gr Speer Gold Dots. 375 Whelen Improved with 270gr Speer SPBT. And 45-70 with 300gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Ive also got some more test loads made up for .308, 6.5x55, and 30-06.

JTD
    I too am fascinated by the 375 Whelen. I have a Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen that I love, but don't shoot much anymore. I am hoping it will have some value some day, maybe for my grand children.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    I too am fascinated by the 375 Whelen. I have a Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen that I love, but don't shoot much anymore. I am hoping it will have some value some day, maybe for my grand children.
    I love the old Remington 700 classics. Ive got one in 300H&H.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Yep, it is a beautiful gun. I shot one PA buck with it years ago, 35 Whelen is not necessary for PA whitetails, lol.

Title
    Premium Member
    Ha! Most of the guns I shoot are way more than a whitetail needs.

I shoot the Hornady 250gr RN out of my 35 whelen. It’s way overboard but does a great job on deer and hogs.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Ha! Most of the guns I shoot are way more than a whitetail needs.

I shoot the Hornady 250gr RN out of my 35 whelen. It’s way overboard but does a great job on deer and hogs.

JTD
    I shoot the 200gr Hornady over a good charge of Win 760, that is what I shot the deer with. Under an inch at 100 yards all day . . . or as long as my shoulder would put up with the abuse, lol. I also had good luck with the Speer 250gr spitzer, but that hurt even more.

Title
    Premium Member
    I melted down the undersized pulls from my learning experience. Something like 500 40cal bullets that got post sized down to .397-.399” by the factory crimp die. Powder coat really stinks when melting down. I was going to make a couple ingots and pour the rest as bullets, but noticed I had crap flow, so I ended up pouring some ugly ingots and cleaning the nozzle. I might get back out there and turn them into bullets, but I might just wait until next week or so.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I melted down the undersized pulls from my learning experience. Something like 500 40cal bullets that got post sized down to .397-.399” by the factory crimp die. Powder coat really stinks when melting down. I was going to make a couple ingots and pour the rest as bullets, but noticed I had crap flow, so I ended up pouring some ugly ingots and cleaning the nozzle. I might get back out there and turn them into bullets, but I might just wait until next week or so.
    I was wondering how the powder coating was going to work out when you melted it down

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

What is your old faithful bullet for 243?

I hope you have a great weekend too! We are about to head out to the 5th grade football game. We need a win!

JTD
    My favorite so far is the 85gr Barnes TSX charged with a warm load of IMR 4064. I bought a sample pack of the 80gr TTSX and really want to try those out too. Might wait for them in the 6mm Rem though.

Hope you have get your win with the kiddos!
    My wife is on call this weekend so mostly hanging around home in case the phone rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jbotto; 09-26-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I was wondering how the powder coating was going to work out when you melted it down

JTD
    It just made a huge stink and all settled to the top. I skimmed it off when I fluxed.

The plugged nozzle was just from use, I've probably run close to 200lbs of material through it now, so it was due for a cleaning anyway.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    My favorite so far is the 85gr Barnes TSX charged with a warm load of IMR 4064. I bought a sample pack of the 80gr TTSX and really want to try those out too. Might wait for them in the 6mm Rem though.

Hope you have get your win with the kiddos!
    My wife is on call this weekend so mostly hanging around home in case the phone rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great bullets for 243, from what I’ve read everywhere. I remembered that you really like the non lead bullets, and was fully expecting the tsx to be your favorite.

JTD