Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie AR build

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingrich09 View Post
    I am also a mechanic and was in your shoes 3 years ago when I wanted my first AR. I ended up purchasing my first completely built and do not regret it one bit.

If you are looking to go with a traditional look, pick your favorite manufacturer they probably make one. There are so many manufacturers its tough to hold one out above the rest. If your looking for a full custom free floated scoped rifle with every bell and whistle, this is where building really comes into play in my opinion because you won't be buying a base rifle only to upgrade it anyway.

You really can't go wrong either way but for me it eased my mind buying my first so I could fondle it and really get a feel for how it works. I have since built 4 others to suit other purposes and calibers. The AR platform is really simple once you learn it but that first time can me intimidating no matter how many build videos you watch on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I've been checking out BCAs fully assembled rifles. I haven't got much feedback on how their guns are. I've also contemplated just buying one of their uppers and match it to an Aero lower. To many options out there, i guess i just really need to get what i can afford. Build and learn from what i have i guess.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    One question I have is if your build is purpose built or just something for a range toy. Because that can change some things in my opinion.

If you’re wanting to build a tough, quality rifle that you could trust your life with fighting tyranny, some parts will be better suited. You may pay more up front but in the end the durability and reliability win over having to replace anything in a worst case scenario.

If it’s just a simple hunting rig you wouldn’t need to go all out besides a decent barrel and trigger.
    I'm kind of looking for dual purpose 50/50 hunting and defense if needed. I don't plan to build an AR pistol, but then again, who knows what the future holds.

Title
    Premium Member
    Is BCA Bear Creek Arsenal? If so, Ive heard over and over that their quality control is spotty. Seems like you get a 50/50 chance of getting a good barrel. Some people swear by them others will never buy from them again. This is not from personal experience, but just what I’ve read on other groups and forums.

JTD

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Is BCA Bear Creek Arsenal? If so, Ive heard over and over that their quality control is spotty. Seems like you get a 50/50 chance of getting a good barrel. Some people swear by them others will never buy from them again. This is not from personal experience, but just what I’ve read on other groups and forums.

JTD
    BCA is bear creek arsenal. I have read that their stuff is spotty as with anything in that price range in my opinion. With some brands you get what you pay for and others you pay for the name. I focus on the middle ground mainly

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    BCA is bear creek arsenal. I have read that their stuff is spotty as with anything in that price range in my opinion. With some brands you get what you pay for and others you pay for the name. I focus on the middle ground mainly
    That is very much the way I do things too.

JTD

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    That is very much the way I do things too.

JTD
    I splurged for a nice rifle recently. My go-to ride or die. It’ll be a Triarc Centrifuge with a 13.9” barrel

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    What price range are you looking at for this rifle? That will change the recomendations.

Title
    Premium Member
    I know you said budget. If you are looking for accuracy you have to up your game to a White Oak Armament upper or similar. I've built a few with the basic uppers, Palmetto State and similar, and accuracy is usually just a hair over 1MOA. If you want 4 out of 5 at 1/2" at 200yds your are going to need a better barrel. Also, triggers do make a difference. If you want to go budget on a trigger then get the nickel one from Palmetto and then an after market spring kit from Kaw Valley or some other brand and you can get a pretty good trigger at a good cost at 4.5lbs, and sometimes a bit lower. I have a couple of those and they work fine with the inexpensive uppers. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Im expecting to spend about 600 but know i will most likely go over that by adding more custom options that i want done to it. That price I know is low but thats an expectation to start.

Title
    What is everyone's thoughts on just running this and customizing as I go? https://www.primaryarms.com/radical-...m-lok-mhr-rail