Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie AR build

Title

Newbie AR build

First I'm going to apologize for my ignorance. Keep in mind, I'm a mechanic and do have the ability build an AR (before the hazing starts, questioning my abilities)
    I'm looking to build my first AR. I have been told by someone on an AR group that I should just buy a fully assembled rifle and learn on that before I dig in on a build. That might be sound advice but that doesn't really sit well with me. As far as my build parts list goes, i think i want an Aero lower but unsure of a decent lower build parts kit i should be looking at. I'm also pretty sure im leaning towards a 223 wylde upper. I guess the real question I have is, what companies should I be looking at for my parts if im trying to keep it a decent budget build? Should i just buy an assembled lower, assembled upper? Give me your suggestions and manufacturer's of where I should be looking to get affordable (not cheap) components. I know there are a ton of options to choose from and this is a huge stretch of a request, but I recently moved to SC and don't have any local connections for solid advice. Thank you in advance.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Welcome to the forum! Glad you could find your way here. As far as Lower Parts Kits (LPKs) go I would suggest sticking with Aero for the Aero lower. They have very solid budget minded receivers. When I say budget minded I mean that they after an affordable product with great quality control and no frills. I would also stick with an Aero upper to match and standard parts kit for that.
    The only thing I would say you should invest more into would be your barrel, BCG, and trigger. Plenty of affordable barrels from great companies like Faxon, Balistic Advantage, BCM. I would very much recommend a BCM, Sionics, or SOLGW for a BCG. Larue MBT is a very popular trigger and very well priced for a two stage.

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    I use Primary Arms for the majority of my AR parts. Palmetto State Armory comes in second among a bunch of other sites I get daily emails from. As far as parts go it mostly depends on your budget. I've used lowers that other people said were "crap" because they didn't cost $150+. As far as assembly goes there's a bunch of great videos on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Welcome aboard, glad to have you here! Unfortunately I am not too much of an AR guy, but if you ever do bolt action stuff, I have plenty to say on those.

Title
    Ill keep that in mind.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CodySPowell View Post
    I use Primary Arms for the majority of my AR parts. Palmetto State Armory comes in second among a bunch of other sites I get daily emails from. As far as parts go it mostly depends on your budget. I've used lowers that other people said were "crap" because they didn't cost $150+. As far as assembly goes there's a bunch of great videos on YouTube.

I have Primary Arms and PSA saved in my phone. Primary seems to have a good selection and seems to be where i find myself constantly looking at parts.

Title
    I've built 6+ AR platforms using a lot of their parts. Never had any issues. Delta Team Tactical has lots of very budget friendly stuff as well.

Title
    Premium Member
    As far as areo lowers go I can speak very highly for the M4E1. It makes life so easy with the integrated trigger guard and a threaded bolt catch. One of the nicest inexpensive LPK I bought was from Tom's tactical which opted for their 2 stage nickel trigger group for short money.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just don't tell my wife how much any of this really costs.

Title
    Premium Member
    I am also a mechanic and was in your shoes 3 years ago when I wanted my first AR. I ended up purchasing my first completely built and do not regret it one bit.

If you are looking to go with a traditional look, pick your favorite manufacturer they probably make one. There are so many manufacturers its tough to hold one out above the rest. If your looking for a full custom free floated scoped rifle with every bell and whistle, this is where building really comes into play in my opinion because you won't be buying a base rifle only to upgrade it anyway.

You really can't go wrong either way but for me it eased my mind buying my first so I could fondle it and really get a feel for how it works. I have since built 4 others to suit other purposes and calibers. The AR platform is really simple once you learn it but that first time can me intimidating no matter how many build videos you watch on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just don't tell my wife how much any of this really costs.

Title
    One question I have is if your build is purpose built or just something for a range toy. Because that can change some things in my opinion.

If you’re wanting to build a tough, quality rifle that you could trust your life with fighting tyranny, some parts will be better suited. You may pay more up front but in the end the durability and reliability win over having to replace anything in a worst case scenario.

If it’s just a simple hunting rig you wouldn’t need to go all out besides a decent barrel and trigger.

An armed society is a polite society