Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie AR build

Title
    As with anything I would research the hell out of the brand. Watch reviews. Read comments. Search for problems with said rifle to see if there is anything to be aware of. I don’t know much about Radical. I almost got excited because I read it as Radian first and that is a HUGE step up in price

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    As with anything I would research the hell out of the brand. Watch reviews. Read comments. Search for problems with said rifle to see if there is anything to be aware of. I don’t know much about Radical. I almost got excited because I read it as Radian first and that is a HUGE step up in price
    I have seen numerous people rave about Radical as an decent rifle to start with. I mean, I would love to drop 3k for one if I had it, but sadly bills and taking care of family come first for me. Toys get worked into the equation as we go lol.

Title
    Lol I know what you mean. If it’s gtg I would love to follow this thread and your experience with it

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    There is nothing wrong with buying one already built. You do want to match the twist rate with the bullet grain weight you are planning on shooting and the grain weight also effects velocity as that is a 1:7 for mainly a heavy grain bullet. If you want to build, build it, they are not that hard if you buy a complete upper and just buy the other parts and build a lower. Some uppers come with bolt carrier and charging handle and some do not so pay attention. And you will need to match optics with what you are trying to accomplish too.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUTank4Life View Post
    What is everyone's thoughts on just running this and customizing as I go? https://www.primaryarms.com/radical-...m-lok-mhr-rail
    Would be a good starting point.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    As others have said, not a problem starting with a base gun and then modifying as money starts showing. After optics and mounts for optics I'd be looking after an upgraded trigger and then bolt carrier group like a nickel/boron.

Mine started as a 600.00 gun and ended up about 1700 after modifying but that did not happen overnight. Only thing left is the DPMS lower and a couple other parts. But the other DPMS parts went to other guns that I'm very happy with.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Ok. I’m uncertain if the op is new to building an at or new to the ar15 platform.
    Since you wanted a parts list, this is what I would suggest to anyone not looking for Gucci, but wanting a great product. I use all these parts on rifles although not all on the same rifle.

upper:
    Aero precision
    Any mil-spec upper parts kit
    Faxon 16” match gunner profile barrel mid length
    Vg6 gamma compensator
    15” Midwest industries slim m-lok Handguard
    Steel low profile gas block
    Mid length gas tube /w roll pin

Lower:
    Aero ar15 lower
    Cmmg lower parts kit
    Milspec buffer tube kit (tube, spring, buffer, endplate)
    Mil-spec Magpul moe grip and stock.
    P-mags.

Whatever sights you want. There are literally tons of options here.
    Iron sights = magpul pro flip up iron set
    Red dot= aimpoint and trijicon if you don’t mind spending a little money
    Lpvo= strike eagle, primary arms
    Scope= Leupold.

I would stick with reputable companies like Primary arms, palmetto state armory, joebob outfitters just to name a few.
    Of course, all of this is just my opinion. Good luck with your adventure

Title
    Premium Member
    I like that list for a good basic rifle that will last a while. Only thing I would change would be the grip, I like a rubberized one from Hogue with beavertail, better price and a better feel. And for a red dot I would add the Holosun 503GU for a basic one with shake awake which I have and really like and if I was to upgrade I'd think about their green dot HE503CU or the military grade red dot HS515CM model. Read reviews on red dots before you buy.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Camaro View Post
    I like that list for a good basic rifle that will last a while. Only thing I would change would be the grip, I like a rubberized one from Hogue with beavertail, better price and a better feel. And for a red dot I would add the Holosun 503GU for a basic one with shake awake which I have and really like and if I was to upgrade I'd think about their green dot HE503CU or the military grade red dot HS515CM model. Read reviews on red dots before you buy.
    I have hogue grips and more recently got a dd I really am digging. Grips and stocks are really about personal preference and most people go through a few to find what suits their needs and the rifles objective. Which is why recommending parts is difficult. The op didn’t mention the purpose of this rifle. If it’s meant for hunting, precision shooting, high speed- low drag, punching holes in paper, etc. Different features have different uses. I just recommended parts I have experience with, that are reasonably priced, good quality, and kind of generic in its use. It’ll do many things well. Just not any one thing great.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    I have hogue grips and more recently got a dd I really am digging. Grips and stocks are really about personal preference and most people go through a few to find what suits their needs and the rifles objective. Which is why recommending parts is difficult. The op didn’t mention the purpose of this rifle. If it’s meant for hunting, precision shooting, high speed- low drag, punching holes in paper, etc. Different features have different uses. I just recommended parts I have experience with, that are reasonably priced, good quality, and kind of generic in its use. It’ll do many things well. Just not any one thing great.
    I appreciate the list. It will help out huge with direction for me. Yes, I failed to mention the purpose. I'm looking to build for multipurpose. I plan to hunt but also have it for defense. I may even choose to run 2 different uppers for said purposes until i decide to build a second rifle down the road. I am aware of the "no go" for switching rifle to SBR so i won't be doing that. I do like the "pistol" ARs but that will become a build when i have the spare money to play around with a custom build for it. Thanks again for the parts list. It will steer me in the right direction with all of the choices out there.