Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Question RCBS Pro Trim and RCBS FL Dies

I have a question for all of you with more experience than me. I am just getting into reloading and I have processed maybe 150 7mm Rem mag cases, about 500 nickel .223 cases, and some .308 and .30-06. All my dies were bought new and the trimmer was bought new. The problem I am having is after resizing the brass, the proper trimmer pilots do not want to go into the mouth of some of the cases. I am using the 28 for the 7mm, 22 for the .223, and 30 for the .308 and .30-06. Some batches that I run seem ok, but others the pilots will no going into the case mouth unless you force it to go in and then its an unholy PITA to get it back out. Any ideas?

Title
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilbird View Post
    I have a question for all of you with more experience than me. I am just getting into reloading and I have processed maybe 150 7mm Rem mag cases, about 500 nickel .223 cases, and some .308 and .30-06. All my dies were bought new and the trimmer was bought new. The problem I am having is after resizing the brass, the proper trimmer pilots do not want to go into the mouth of some of the cases. I am using the 28 for the 7mm, 22 for the .223, and 30 for the .308 and .30-06. Some batches that I run seem ok, but others the pilots will no going into the case mouth unless you force it to go in and then its an unholy PITA to get it back out. Any ideas?
    It can be the case mouth WALL Thickness, and a burr around the neck even when resizing.
    If the wall of the case neck is thicker, and you are sizing the outside of the neck to fit in the chamber, the inside will be smaller, and the pilots don't fit well

Title
    Premium Member
    Ok. I will look into that when I get home from work in a couple weeks. Should I run the expander back through the case mouth without resizing it? I would guess this would also affect the bullet seating as well. Right now all the bullets I plan to use have a boat tail design. Any advise on this?

Title
    Your expander should be taking care of that issue as it is the last thing to be done on down stroke when you re-size.Also RCBS has new head and pilots that de-burr inside and out of case neck as you trim that cures removal problem.You remove old trimmer head and install new head which de-burrs outside,the pilots de-burrs inside of case neck.I had the same issue with removal from trimmer but not with insertion which makes me think you have an expander problem.Also be sure to lube inside of case neck as it will cause problems with ammo fitting your gun and possibly with expander not doing its job.Dry necks will stretch some cases back to where they will not fit gun when expander passes through.

if you are getting a

Last edited by Weab1958; 08-16-2019 at 05:36 AM.