Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

Decision help wanted.

I just inherited my grandfather's 308 model 99 savage. passed down through my Dad who just passed away last August. Since I use my 30/06 for deer, it will be handed over to my grand kids as their first higher caliber rifle once they are done using my .243 and their Dad's .243 (great rifles they each shot their first buck the last two years at age 10 and 13). I reload my own bullets and will be using a 165 grain .30 cal Nosler Spitizer bullet. My first inkling was to use a ballistic tip but now leaning toward the silvertip, but could be convinced to use an Accubond. Thoughts on which would be better. At this point we are using it on deer only.

Similar Threads:

Title
    I think you can make a very valid argument for every bullet you posted.... so I'd pick the silver tips with around 56gr of IMR 4350.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddydawg75 View Post
    I think you can make a very valid argument for every bullet you posted.... so I'd pick the silver tips with around 56gr of IMR 4350.
    Thanks. Funny this Corvid-19 quarantine has directed me back to a hobby I’ve unfortunately got away from.

Title
    yeah, its good to get back to basics... I'd trade the virus for a total cell phone shutdown instead...

Title
    Premium Member
    For the 308, any of those three bullets will work perfectly for your intended purpose. If it were me I would opt for the standard ballistic tip, and keep the loads a grain or two under max in that old rifle.

JTD