Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Benchtop primer vs hand primer

I currently have the RCBS hand prime a d have no problems with it but am contemplating eiter getting a second one specifically for small rifle primers or buying a bench top to use for either LRP or SRP. Lets hear your thoughts.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    A lot of people like the bench mount presses, they say they have good feel and are quick/easy to use. I myself have never tried one, and am turned off at the thought of being stuck at my bench priming brass. I like being mobile for priming, so it is a hand primer for me.

JTD

Title
    I have both a RCBS bench primer and a RCBS hand primer. Both have their place--If I'm priming a bunch I'll use the bench primer to prevent hand fatigue. For smaller batches, the hand primer works fine. The bench primer takes about 5 seconds to switch between large and small primers...way easier than the hand primer.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have both handheld and bench primers, they’re both RCBS and use the APS strips. I got the benchtop one because I could only do a few hundred with the handheld before my hands got sore. Since getting the bench tool, I haven’t used the handheld one.

i guess it would make sense to set the benchtop one up for small and the handheld for large primers, since 90% of what I load is small primer (I’m one of the oddballs that LIKES small primer 45acp).

I have both RCBS bench top automatic priming tool and several hand priming tools. The automatic tool is attached to a wooden base. The machine can be put on the bench for use then removed. My bench priming tool uses tubes and not strips. I use the bench tool much less since installing 550's. On my automatic changing primers involves changing priming stem and shell holder. For doing small runs of rifle brass the old style RCBS seater is used.