Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: Powder Question

Title
    Premium Member

Powder Question

I am out of Varget and almost out of Titegroup. I typically purchase 8# jug. I've heard that if you switch lot numbers in a powder it is a good idea to work up a new load. Waste of time or a good idea??

Thanks,
    OkHawg

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Depends on who you talk to. If you switch powders completely, yes....if you use the same powder with the same general time of manufacturer it's not always necessary. I never have and been fine, but your mileage may vary. I have heard both ways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I typically don’t work up again, but I do load up a batch and test it before I load a whole mess of them, just in case.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I would say it comes down to a safety issue, ie if you are running really hot loads that are on the ragged edge of safe yes I'd back off and work back up until you see pressure signs. I outgrew running those kinds of loads a long time ago and found it's just better to operate well within what's safe. I run ladder tests to find an accuracy node and I've found most of those to be below maximum loads. It's just not worth an eye, finger or hideous scar to push a bullet marginally faster given that the target most likely won't know the difference.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for all the tips. I have never loaded on the hot side, so I am not worried about that. My knee jerk reaction was to load up a hundred of so and see how they perform.

Later,
    OkHawg