Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

PRVI hunting bullets

Has anyone used PRVI hunting bullets (reloaded or factory) on game. I picked up some 156gr 6.5 RN, 285gr 9.3 RN, and 300gr .375 RN to try. I’m hoping to work up a load for each of these and was wondering if anyone here had any first hand experience with them.

JTD

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I would first weigh at least 25-50. Also either spin them or load them in dummy brass and use a concentricity gauge on them. A bullet compairator would be useful also. ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member

PRVI hunting bullets

When I go to load some I will weigh them and use the comparator on them when checking seating depth. I don’t have a concentricity tool. I’m wondering if anyone has used them on animals and how terminal performance is with them.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 04-10-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    I would first weigh at least 25-50. Also either spin them or load them in dummy brass and use a concentricity gauge on them. A bullet compairator would be useful also. ---- SAWMAN
    I loaded some of the prvi 6.5 156gr RN today in 6.5x55. I weighed 20 bullets and the avg was 156.13gr. The heaviest was 156.5, the lightest was 158.8. The majority weighed 156.2gr. The ogive was very consistent on the comparator, all within .001” of each other.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

PRVI hunting bullets

I got a chance to try the 156gr PRVI 6.5 bullets yesterday, out of my combo 6.5x55/12ga baikal.

COAL 3.150”

I shot 3, 3 shot groups with H1000. 43.7gr, 44.0gr, and 44.3gr. Here is the best one with 44.0gr.

The other 2 charges measured under 1.5”. So far so good. I’m going to load 5 more of the 44.0gr load to confirm accuracy and get velocity. Only question now is how will it perform on critters.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 05-24-2020 at 03:45 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Once I get my hands on some Western Big Game powder, I’m going to try some of the PRVI 285gr in my 9.3x62

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Love the combo gun. I bought one of the 6.5x55/12 gauge ones when they first came out. It was my favorite for hunting swanps in FL. Had to sell a few years back when money got tight. Wish I still had it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog View Post
    Love the combo gun. I bought one of the 6.5x55/12 gauge ones when they first came out. It was my favorite for hunting swanps in FL. Had to sell a few years back when money got tight. Wish I still had it.
    I need to play around with some different buckshot loads and see what they will do.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I used to like #4 buck, did good on the little deer in fl out to 30 yards or so, pigs up to 150lb and since turkey is open in FL for a good part of the fall season the occasional tom would get the smack down.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog View Post
    I used to like #4 buck, did good on the little deer in fl out to 30 yards or so, pigs up to 150lb and since turkey is open in FL for a good part of the fall season the occasional tom would get the smack down.
    Ive never used buckshot for hunting before, I shot plenty just gunning around. Ive been reading up and 30yds seems to be the magic number, with 40 doable but pushing it.

JTD