Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

45ACP 200gr SWC question

Anybody here load 200gr SWC in 45ACP? My question is, how much of the bullets shank do you leave sticking out of the case? Ive usually had best results with the edge of the wad cutter almost flush with the case mouth. Just curious what the rest of you guys do.

JTD

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    About the thickness of a dime.

Title
    Premium Member
    I think the thickness of a dime or fingernail is pretty much the norm. Anybody else have anything?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I've shot well over a thousand of these through my 1911 Gov't without any issue. Yeah, a dime matches up pretty well. I was told they were designed to be flush with the case mouth, but there would be no place to crimp and it could push the bolt deeper when cleaning up the bell. I'm using a Lee 452-200-SWC mold.
    That said, my G30 doesn't like to feed them, so it depends on the firearm. I went with a RN set deep for the G30.

Title
    Premium Member
    I seat to the upper edge of the upper lube groove then crimp with Lee FCD. I'm shooting Lasercast 200gr LSWC.

Title
    Premium Member
    Yep - like this. My G30 doesn't like them - they hang up when feeding so i switched to LRN. The 1911 eats them up...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member

Mine are a little less than a dime. More like the width of my fingernail, but they feed smooth.

JTD

I seat my bullet, the RCBS 45 201-KT SWC, with shoulder even with the neck. Just my way of doing it meaning nothing special. Loaded this way the bullet is reliable and accurate in my 1911 and G21.3. Shot sixty+ rounds of 45 ACP loaded this way this morning.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli Terry View Post
    I seat my bullet, the RCBS 45 201-KT SWC, with shoulder even with the neck. Just my way of doing it meaning nothing special. Loaded this way the bullet is reliable and accurate in my 1911 and G21.3. Shot sixty+ rounds of 45 ACP loaded this way this morning.
    I have loaded them like that also, with good results.

JTD