Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

45-70 chambering problem

Good evening folks,

Im a new 45-70 reloader and am having a problem with the round chambering the last little bit in my Henry. New starline brass with HDY 350 RN's, sized, trimmed and seated to spec. I used a Lee Factory Crimp Die after seating. Problem is that it wont chamber all the way, the lever and bolt wont close. Seems like it needs a taper crimp?

Please help, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

--jm

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jmaddox7; 03-17-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Try chambering the empty brass after resizing it. If it still won't fit adjust your dies till the bolt and lever closes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I also find that people tend to open the mouth up too much to seat the bullet.
    I have shot quite a few of those same bullets out of my Marlin 1895 and NEF Handi Rifle with no problems whatsoever.
    Make sure your dies are adjusted properly also. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Definitely try your brass after you size before you load, like jay said. Does your brass need to be trimmed? Your rifle may have a short throat, are there any rifling marks on you bullet. Like sawman, Ive fired a bunch of these from my marlin 1895G, with zero problems.

JTD

My traumatic learning experience: I had problems chambering 45-90 and 45-110 rounds in two good quality Sharps replicas. This loading used lead bullets. It turned out that the case mouth remained expanded enough to jam up chambering. The down and dirty answer here on the hill was to get both long and short Lyman taper crimp dies. No more problem. Rifles shoot great. I use a Lee FCD to clean up case mouths loading 308 and 30-06.

The mistake came, with me, when chambering a sized case thinking that it would chamber as a loaded round. Sure enough it's good to eliminate problems with the sized case. I found out the hard way it's no check for case mouth problems or COL problems.