Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

9mm load help needed

Hello to all you folks who know so much more than I do.

I’m stumped on my 9mm load development, and need advice on where to go from here.

I thought I had a good load, so I loaded up a test batch. And every single round stove-piped on me. Shooting 115gr plated round nose, 4.4 grains of Ramshot Zip at a coal of 1.16”. Gun is a Glock 17 gen 2. CCI #500 primers if that matters.

My Lee manual lists a max charge of 4.6 gr at 1.13”. So I’m dang close to max charge, and nowhere near functioning well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member

9mm load help needed

A stove pipe is usually the result of “limp wristing.” The pistol needs a certain amount of resistance from the shooter for the slide to function properly, if there is too much break in your wrist while the slide is cycling then a stovepipe will occur. Have someone else try your load in your pistol and see if they get the same result.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s a fair point, but I never have issues with factory ammo. And I don’t have this problem on my 460 Rowland where I’d expect a limp wrist to show up.

Title
    Premium Member
    Well dang! Hopefully someone will chime in with a little more insight on this.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    This is just to throw it out there, on one of my 80% Glocks I built I had a problem with putting a spring in, in the wrong order, and that caused it to not run correctly on ejection. My son-in-law, a Glock armorer, looked at it and figured it out right away and I'd been fighting it not locking back or something like that as it has been too long to remember exactly. If it is an 80% you built let me know and I'll take a look and figure which spring and order was wrong.

Sounds to me you have a cycling problem from limp rist or something mechanical, not the load.

But on the load, did you run them through a 9mm check gauge?

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Camaro View Post
    This is just to throw it out there, on one of my 80% Glocks I built I had a problem with putting a spring in, in the wrong order, and that caused it to not run correctly on ejection. My son-in-law, a Glock armorer, looked at it and figured it out right away and I'd been fighting it not locking back or something like that as it has been too long to remember exactly. If it is an 80% you built let me know and I'll take a look and figure which spring and order was wrong.

Sounds to me you have a cycling problem from limp rist or something mechanical, not the load.

But on the load, did you run them through a 9mm check gauge?
    Do you have any insight on what spring you had installed incorrectly? I did a p80 G19 build and am also having similar problems stovepiping and not always locking on last round. I am also at the top end of my powder charge for my load.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just don't tell my wife how much any of this really costs.

Title
    Premium Member
    It think it was the slide lock spring. There is a sequence on when it is to be installed and where with the trigger assembly and I either did it before or after I should have that messed things up. Somehow the son-in-law figured it out, as he had done the same thing on one. I've forgotten which order since it has been a while. I could manually rack it and everything was fine but shooting it, it would sometimes stovepipe or lock back early, if not mistaken. I remember it was very frustrating until it was fixed. It has been fixed for a while. I'll see if I can email him. He probably remembers.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Now that’s very interesting... I did just do an overhaul of the springs on this one not too long ago. I stripped it completely down and replaced most of the springs. Not sure I’ve run factory ammo since then, so that could be it.

I’ve got a buddy who’s a Glock armorer, I’ll ask him about it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingrich09 View Post
    Do you have any insight on what spring you had installed incorrectly? I did a p80 G19 build and am also having similar problems stovepiping and not always locking on last round. I am also at the top end of my powder charge for my load.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    From my son-in-law:
    Yes that's correct, if you put the top pin in first then the slide release ad its spring in you'll be good to go. If the top pin goes in between the slide stop spring and the slide stop it will cause that malfunction.

Title
    Premium Member
    You mentioned Gen 2, have you replaced the recoil spring and other wear items recently?

Limp wrist and an incorrect reassembly could have done it also.