Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

RCBS primer pocket crimp removers

I bought a set of RCBS primer pocket crimp removers. Ive got a bunch of 223 brass from Wes that I need to process. I mounted the cutter on my franklin prep center and did a test run on 25 pieces of Norma brass and they came out perfect.

JTD

Similar Threads:

Title
    Looks good! I don’t have one of those prep stations but I do have the Dillon super swage and that thing is amazing. Better than hand reaming with the RCBS crimp remover that’s for sure

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    I tried a few by hand. Worked fine but took forever. The prep center was definitely a time saver. I got 500 done over the weekend. The next 500 I may sneak into work and do by hand during down time.

JTD

Title
    I almost got one because most of my prep is 223 but with the tri way trimmer I got away from needing one for now. Would be nice to have one now that I have a few other things I load for

Title
    Premium Member
    I load for about 40 different rifle calibers. Having the universal trimmer on the frankford prep center has been a God send for me.

JTD

Title
    holy cow that’s a lot lol. I’m trying to down size and focus more on training this year

Title
    Premium Member
    Here’s a couple pictures of the cutters and finished product.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Here’s the shavings after 500 223’s

JTD

Title
    I have the same RCBS crimp removers on my RCBS prep center. I find myself using my Dillon Super Swage far more often than the RCBS stuff. When I prep brass, I like to size/deprime as the first step, trim to length using a WFT mounted on a drill press, then chamfer and deburr on the RCBS prep center. The problem I had with using the prep center/crimp remover is that the brass is still lubed at that point so it's harder to hold onto during the crimp removal, and especially smaller cases like .223 cause hand fatigue when I'm doing LOTS of cases. Even with the Dillon being a separate step in the prep process, I can process more cases in less time than adding that task on the RCBS prep station. That being said, any time I'm doing smaller batches of anything (under a couple hundred), I use the RCBS as it works fine, just slower for big batches.

Title
    Premium Member
    It is definitely slow going. I do the primer pockets as the first step, before any lube, so I don’t have a problem holding onto them. Where my problem comes in is trimming. I have to wipe the lube off before trimming, or else I have the same problem like you are describing.

JTD