Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Mounting Primer Swager

I have an RCBS Primer Pocket Swager that I bought during Midway's last RCBS sale. Its been sitting on a shelf ever since it arrived. I have a smaller reloading bench and really don't want to drill and bolt it to the bench if I don't have to as I don't want to give up space for it because I really won't use it that often. So, I remember using one at my buddy's place and it requires a lot of force to do its job. Any good way to mount it temporarily to my bench that I'm currently blind to?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Bolt it to a separate piece of lumber and C-clamp it to your bench when needed.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    That's what I was leaning towards JTD, but wasn't sure if that would withstand the force. I guess only one way to find out. I c-clamp both a bench vise and a Uniflow powder measure stand to the bench and that seems to work well for the more static reloading tools, but just wasn't sure if it would move lots with the swager.

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive full length sized brass like that before. As long as the clamps and you bench are strong enough to handle it, you should be good to go.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I pulled the swager out of the box and immediately feel stupid. It’s been a couple years at least since I used one and remembered it operating differently. If I have the right hardware this should be put together and adjusted tonight. Thanks JTD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome! Post up some pics when you get it mounted up.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Mounting Primer Swager

Got it done and it’s sturdier than I figured it would be! Only took one trip to the hardware store too
    I have the rag in between just to protect my benchtop. I’ll do something a bit more permanent to the wood block later

Last edited by Jbotto; 02-08-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Looks perfect. You got off easy with only one trip to the store.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Yeah, even little projects never seem to work out with less than one for me. I don’t have a bunch of spare hardware around either so when I do have to go, I buy doubles for the misc hardware bucket. When I’m not in an apartment garage anymore, I’ll have a small stock of common sizes always on hand.

Anyways, I cranked out a whole coffee can of brass today full length sizing them and then swaging them. It allowed me to handle brass one less time so figured I might as well.

Title
    Premium Member
    You knocked out a bunch. I’m working on primer pockets and prepping a mess of 223.

JTD