Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: Ar-15 Pistol

Title
    Premium Member

Ar-15 Pistol

I loaned a friend some money against an ar-15 upper with the thought he would retrieve it. He didn't so I figured I might as well get a lower and finish it. Then he tells me it can't be a rifle because the barrel is too short, so I need to make it a pistol. Is it worth the hassle to have an ar pistol and if so recommendations on which lower to buy. Do I reload to same specs as rifle? Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Title
    You can go with any AR lower you want as long as it has a pistol brace. It only becomes a hassle if you go the SBR route. But it's only a paper weight if it's not attached to a lower...

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you. I will probably go that route. I have too many paper weights.

Title
    No problem!
    I find the definition rather ridiculous.
    A barrel length less than 16" or an overall length of less than 26". Well, if said firearm assembled has a barrel less than 16" but the overall length is over 26" why should it be considered a SBR? It should be one or the other period.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Careful . . . Make sure to use a lower that has NEVER been registered (4473) as a rifle.
    Just buy a lower from PSA or other that is a complete PISTOL lower or a stripped lower that is 4473'ed as "other". ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    What length is the barrel on the upper? Best bet is to buy a pistol configuration lower or a stripped lower. If it’s built as a pistol from the get go you’re good. You can go pistol to rifle but never rifle to pistol. That said, you can put any length upper receiver on a pistol lower. SBA3 and 4 “braces” would be your best bet for comfort. If the OAL (from end of barrel threads to end of recover extension) is greater than 26” you can put a VFG. Minimum barrel length required to achieve that is 11.5”. Any shorter and you can only use AFGs.
    If I remember correctly, if it has a folding adapter you measure from barrel threads to adapter for OAL.

You can have a MD pinned and welded to make it meet the 16” barrel requirements but you need the right length MD and barrel. Shortest barrel that comes to 16” would be 13.7”
    I hope this helps and makes sense

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Ultimately it’s up to you to do your research to confirm all of this. This is just my experience. I’m looking to do a 13.9” barrel pinned and welded with a Dead Air flash hider to make the 16” minimum.

An armed society is a polite society