Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title

Let me pick your brain

I just ordered a Lee Auto Breech lock press, What I am going to ask is probably going to seem stupid, but here goes! I am going to be reloading 4 calibers on this one press, 7.62 x 39, .223 Rem, .45 ACP and .243 WSSM and maybe later on .22-250. What I would like is to find 1 brand of powder to reload all these calibers, so I won't have 4 or 5 containers of powder cluttering my bench. Any suggestions people?

Title
    Premium Member

Let me pick your brain

No stupid questions here :-)

Unfortunately you’re kind of stuck buying at least three different powder types. 45 ACP requires a fast burning pistol powder, I like to use Bullseye, since it’s pretty economical to load.

The 7.62x39 and .223 Rem both need a rifle powder, you might look at IMR 3031. Just know that those are two very different calibers with different powder burn speed requirements, you really using a sub optimal powder for either load.

For 22-250, honestly it requires a slower burning powder to perform well. IMR 8208 or IMR 4895 is a good choice, and can be used in 223, but not 7.62x39. You can also use both of those powders in 243 WSSM.

Jay Andrew
    www.theballisticassistant.com

Last edited by Jay Andrew; 01-31-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Title
    Jay I already have a 1 pound bottle of IMR 4227, that I purchased after consulting my Hornady manual. I realize, you can buy ammo in steel cased cartridges for 7.62 x 39 dirt cheap and those are great for SKS' and Ak's, But I am reloading for an InterArms MarkX mini-mauser and a gunsmith told me not to use steel-cased ammo if I could get brass cased, he told me the steel ammo will break the extractor on my bolt and I imagine it would be impossible to find a replacement.

Title
    Premium Member
    It’s hard to find one powder that works good for everything. Usually you end up with a powder that works mediocre for most things.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I load for 7.62x39, and IMR 4227 will work for it, but is too fast for 223 Rem, and too slow burning for 45 ACP. I would say that IMR 4227 is probably a better powder for 7.62x39 then 3031.

As Jeff said, typically you want to pick a powder that is suited for the caliber and bullet you are loading for. While many powders have a range of calibers and loads they will work for, usually you’ll find that one powder works really well in this load, but may only be mediocre in others. There’s nothing wrong with that per say.

I have a large collection of powders, and while this may seem worrisome to the new loader (mixing up powders) it can be managed, especially if you label what load it for on the canister.

Being someone who likes trying new things, having a large collection of powders is kind of nice.

Jay Andrew

Title

bear with me guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    I load for 7.62x39, and IMR 4227 will work for it, but is too fast for 223 Rem, and too slow burning for 45 ACP. I would say that IMR 4227 is probably a better powder for 7.62x39 then 3031.

As Jeff said, typically you want to pick a powder that is suited for the caliber and bullet you are loading for. While many powders have a range of calibers and loads they will work for, usually you’ll find that one powder works really well in this load, but may only be mediocre in others. There’s nothing wrong with that per say.

I have a large collection of powders, and while this may seem worrisome to the new loader (mixing up powders) it can be managed, especially if you label what load it for on the canister.

Being someone who likes trying new things, having a large collection of powders is kind of nice.

Jay Andrew
    Jay the only thing I have ever reload for was a 7 mm mag and that was 40 years ago and of course shot shells. All the rifle rounds I have mentioned loading for are bolt action rifles, only the .45 ACP is a semi-auto (Hi Point carbine), that I bought to hunt hogs in thick brush here in North Texas. I am not one to waste ammo and never have been, usually 3 or 4 rounds to zero my optics and 1 or 2 rounds to harvest game, I don't shoot to just burn cartridges. As I said earlier, I can purchase 7.62 x 39 ammo steel-cased for about $6.00 for 20 rounds in numerous places here locally and can get .223 ammo(brass cased) for a little under 10 bucks. The .22-250 and .243 WSSM is a different story, it usually just under 36 bucks when you can find it.

All that said, I am beginning to realize, that I am going to need more than one powder for my reloading needs. So could you list the powders for the specific calibers and I will consign myself to getting them.

Thanks in advance, your friend, Terry Uselton

Title
    Premium Member
    What bullet weights are you planning to shot for your 223, 22-250, and 243wssm?

JTD

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    What bullet weights are you planning to shot for your 223, 22-250, and 243wssm?

JTD
    JTD, I am looking at 65gr Sierra spitzer soft points for the .223, as for the .22-250 and .243WSSM, I haven decided on anything yet. From everything I read and been told about those 2 rounds, they are mostly for varmints and coyotes and I hunt hogs and deer for meat, don't know if I would use either unless I was going to go a head or neck shot. I may end up selling them both.

Title
    Premium Member

Let me pick your brain

Well first off, the 243wssm is a great hunting cartridge. There are plenty of good bullets in the 95-100gr range that would suit your needs. I know several people who hunt deer with 22-250, but I never have so I’ve got no personal opinion on that.

After doing a little digging, it looks like varget could be a possible contender for you for 223, 22-250, and 243wssm. It is on the fast side for 243wssm, but it’s definitely in the realm of good performance.

45acp has soooooo many powders suited for it. My best advice would be to check your manual and pick one that puts the bullet in the performance range you are looking for.

Just remember, with all of your loads, start low and work your way up.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 02-01-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Title
    Though, it's been 40 years since I reloaded for that 7mm Rem Mag, the load data I finally settled on still pops in my mind every time I talk about it, Rem. brass,CCI magnum rifle primers, 64.5 grs of IMR 4350, 125 gr sierra spitzer soft point and that monster could drive thumb tacks at 300 yards.

Anyway, thanks for all your information and patience.

Terry

Last edited by Terry Uselton; 02-02-2020 at 05:56 AM.