Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title

Best bullet for 357 hog hunt

I am going on a hog hunt soon and I was thinking about taking my Winchester 357 rifle, I am wondering what kind of bullet would work best. This is not going to be my primary weapon but for when we are walking it is light weight and easier to use on a spot and stalk. I was thinking about getting some buffalo bore 180 hard cast anyone have any luck with these on hogs? Or is there something that would work better??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I would suggest the heaviest Hornady XTP that you can get.
    It has been my expierance that the added velocity of the rifles longer bbl will add to the destructiveness of the XTP,and the bullets makeup will hold it together long enough for deep penetration.
    While the 180's are a good bullet,if YOU KNOW that you can put it square on the shoulder,the XTP is the best if put anywhere on the hog. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I second sawman. The 180gr xtp is very accurate and has performed well on game for me (deer and hogs).

JTD

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    I would suggest the heaviest Hornady XTP that you can get.
    It has been my expierance that the added velocity of the rifles longer bbl will add to the destructiveness of the XTP,and the bullets makeup will hold it together long enough for deep penetration.
    While the 180's are a good bullet,if YOU KNOW that you can put it square on the shoulder,the XTP is the best if put anywhere on the hog. --- SAWMAN
    I went with the 180 xtp and did some testing with it and it drove through and 18” piece of 6x6 post and came out the back with a 1 1/2” hole I am now confident that it will do the job. I was shooting at approximately 40 yards so I feel if I keep my shots within that range it will have no problem of killing efficiently thanks for the recommendation

Title
    Premium Member
    Glad that you have found something that will work for you.
    I have used the XTP's for hunting now in 5 different chamberings . . . both rifle and pistol. They all worked fine for me hunting big Fla hogs,big Maine deer and bear,and even coyotes.
    I even had several "sports" kill Maine moose using them out of their 45-70's (although I would prefer they used a hardcast WFNGC). ---- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    How did you do on the hog hunt ?? If you have been please post some pics.
    What gun,load,distance,performance including where hit and exit ??
    You get more vel out of the longer bbl's with the "pistol rounds". I have done some pretty wild things reloading for a 16" 44Mag and a 16" 454Casull. For the closer range stuff they are supurb on deer and hogs. Black bear also with the Casull. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    You get more vel out of the longer bbl's with the "pistol rounds". I have done some pretty wild things reloading for a 16" 44Mag and a 16" 454Casull. For the closer range stuff they are supurb on deer and hogs. Black bear also with the Casull. --- SAWMAN
    Yes I went on my hunt, it was a super fun one yet again. I ended up shooting my first hog with my Winchester 16” 357 rifle at about 25 yds entrance was just below the ear and exited the other side with a 1-1 1/2”hole I was using 180 gr xtp’s with 2400 I don’t have the load on me at the moment. The bullet performed flawlessly as expected, the weighed in at 223 lbs. I also shot a 180 lb hog with my 6.5 Grendel with 123 SST, kind of a bad shot...Texas heart shot but the pig only made it about ten yards and piled up. The last pig was a small one under 50lbs and again I was using the 357 rifle entrance was just behind right lung pig was quartering away and exit was the front of off shoulder and that was a massive exit wound about the size of a baseball the shot was about 45 yds

Title
    I will post some pictures later on when I get home and I’m on wifi

Title
    Premium Member
    Can’t wait to see them!

JTD

Title

This was the big one I shot first