Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

30-06 hunting loads

Ive had my 30-06 for quite some time. My first hunting load was 165gr Nosler ballistic tips, they performed great, but soon quit using plastic tipped bullets. I switched to 165gr Hornady BTSP and had great success with them. One day I stumbled across 2 boxes of Nosler 220gr semi spitzer partitions (1/2 off) and decided to give them a go, amazing, very accurate and killed deer and hogs as dead as everything else I had used. Ive shot that 220gr load for the last 10 years and have now decided to shake it up again. What all hunting loads (powder/bullet) do you guys use in your trusty old 06’s? I’m hoping to get a little inspiration to try and figure out which direction I want to go next.

JTD

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Get a copy of this book
    https://www.amazon.com/Loads-Practical-Ballistics-American-Hunter/dp/1879356171/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Bob+Hagel&qid=1578070301&s=boo ks&sr=1-1
    There are some loads in there for the Ought Six that are beyond what any load manual ever published. Work up to them.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have always found something to be happy about IMR 4064 or Varget. I lean on Varget the most. I have stayed in the 165gr category for awhile with SST’s, Sierra Gamekings, and Hornady GMX. Haven’t played with my .30-06 in a while but have been happy with the performance of these combinations with everything but the SST’s. They shot accurately but after using that bullet in other rifles I quit using them altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member

30-06 hunting loads

I was looking around in the garage and found a box of Sierra 180gr SP. Ive used 2 different 165gr bullets, and have been using the 220gr for a decade. Maybe this 180gr will be interesting. I know any bullet will work, I’m just looking to mix it up a little bit.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    I have always found something to be happy about IMR 4064 or Varget. I lean on Varget the most. I have stayed in the 165gr category for awhile with SST’s, Sierra Gamekings, and Hornady GMX. Haven’t played with my .30-06 in a while but have been happy with the performance of these combinations with everything but the SST’s. They shot accurately but after using that bullet in other rifles I quit using them altogether.

I know a lot of people use 4064 and 4895 out of their 30-06’s. Ive never tried a powder with a burn rate faster than IMR4350 in mine. I guess in all my loading I tend to gravitate towards the slower burning powders per bullet weight.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I know a lot of people use 4064 and 4895 out of their 30-06’s. Ive never tried a powder with a burn rate faster than IMR4350 in mine. I guess in all my loading I tend to gravitate towards the slower burning powders per bullet weight.

JTD
    I was a scrawny kid with a too-light .30-06 so I went with middleweight charges of faster burning powders and lighter bullets to manage recoil. Shot like a .308

Title
    Premium Member
    Well I decided to work up a load for 180gr Sierra pro hunter in my ‘06. Sierra and Nosler both agree that RL22 is the most accurate powder for this. The problem is, Sierra says their max load of 58.9gr is the best, Nosler says their max load of 62.0gr is best. Lyman doesn’t think RL22 is best, but they have a max charge of 60.8gr. My 30-06 has a very long throat so I always seat bullets out farther than the books do, so max charges have never been an issue in this rifle. I loaded up 7 rounds, each with a different powder charge. I’m going to shoot and chronograph them to see if my max will be within the books. Ive got one each of 59.0gr, 59.5gr, 60.0gr, 60.5gr, 61.0gr, 61.5gr, and 62.0gr. Once I find out where my max is and get an idea of what velocities are going to be like, I’ll do some accuracy testing.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

30-06 hunting loads

I shot those 7 rounds Sunday. I didn’t chronograph them though, too lazy to set it up. 59.0gr through 61.5 gr were fine, 62.0gr flattened the primer. I’m going to stick with 61.0gr as max, to give me a little cushion. The amazing thing was the target, the rifle shot a pretty amazing group for each round having a different powder charge.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Just wondering . . . why are you using that heavy of bullet ?? What game will you be hunting ??
    Of course - - -> any bullet that is accurate is a "good" bullet.
    Have you ever tried a <151gr bullet ?? I am getting great accuracy out of the Barnes 130gr TSX in my two different 308Win's. Have killed some 250lb+ Fla hogs with them and they always perform great. Even when put square on the shoulder plate. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited by SAWMAN; 01-16-2020 at 04:08 AM.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I’m just a whitetail and hog hunter. I’ve got no good reason as to why I use heavy bullets, I just have always liked them. They perform well and shoot straight. One of my next projects is the 200gr partition in the 300H&H.

JTD