Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: Holsters

Title
    Premium Member

Holsters

Lets discuss holsters. Im picking up a Springfield 1911, and am looking for a decent out of the waistband level 2 retention holster. Would prefer it to have the hood that you flip open. Not going to go out in public with it, just around the house, or out doing yard work. Any suggestions? Thank you in advanced!

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

Title
    I would recommend Blackhawk or Safariland. I have a Blackhawk and really like it.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I try as much as possible to support the little guys. That said I've had good luck with local saddle makers, they generally are happy to make exactly what you want and for them those little bits of leather are mostly scrap so prices are generally very reasonable. Outside of the saddle makers there is only one dedicated gun leather guy I whole heartedly recommend and that's Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged Holsters.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/

Title
    Premium Member
    For your conditions,I would choose a Blackhawk SERPA. Positive retension yet quick to draw.
    I have several for my "woods carry" Glocks and love 'em. If they get dirty or muddy . . I just wash them off in the sink.
    Also for my hunting Glock 20 . . a slow,controlled draw,is a quiet draw. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
    I try as much as possible to support the little guys. That said I've had good luck with local saddle makers, they generally are happy to make exactly what you want and for them those little bits of leather are mostly scrap so prices are generally very reasonable. Outside of the saddle makers there is only one dedicated gun leather guy I whole heartedly recommend and that's Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged Holsters.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/
    I had never had a leaver holster, always polymer or kydex. Does leather stand up as good as a hard plastic holster?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick30100 View Post
    I had never had a leaver holster, always polymer or kydex. Does leather stand up as good as a hard plastic holster?

I prefer leather personally. I've tried several kydex holsters and always found they pinched or bit me at one point or another. As for leather's durability the only leather holster I ever wore out was a Galco and it stood up to nearly daily use as well as some IDPA competition for the better part of 20 years. I replaced it with a copy only made by a local saddle maker from saddle leather 10ish years ago and it isn't even showing any signs of wear yet.

Title
    Premium Member
    Check out the Safariland ALS holsters. I use several including one on-duty as a LEO. If you want some customization check out RedHill Tactical. I am one of their sponsored competitive shooters and have a discount code to pass out..... justin10. It is good for 10% off.