Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2019

Title
    Premium Member
    I bought myself a used but looks barely used long action Savage 112 with 26"bull barrel in .223. Added a full Weaver scope base as the singles were too far apart for any scope I had including Prostaff 4-12x40, added a Nikon M-223 in 4-16x42 and 30mm tubes and some UTG scope rings. If scale is right it is about 14lbs 9oz. A real pig but should shoot well. Trigger adjusted down to 3.5lbs, breaks clean and the only thing is it is a 1:9 and I was hoping for a 1:12 twist but still should work fine for my 40 and 50 grainers.

Ruger 10/22 with bull barrel showed for size comparison.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member

Christmas 2019

Quote Originally Posted by 72Camaro View Post
    I bought myself a used but looks barely used long action Savage 112 with 26"bull barrel in .223. Added a full Weaver scope base as the singles were too far apart for any scope I had including Prostaff 4-12x40, added a Nikon M-223 in 4-16x42 and 30mm tubes and some UTG scope rings. If scale is right it is about 14lbs 9oz. A real pig but should shoot well. Trigger adjusted down to 3.5lbs, breaks clean and the only thing is it is a 1:9 and I was hoping for a 1:12 twist but still should work fine for my 40 and 50 grainers.

Ruger 10/22 with bull barrel showed for size comparison.

That should be a tack driver. Is that the old model savage, with the square rear, when savage used to only make a long action? I would love to see a right up of your load development for that thing when you put some rounds together for it.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    That should be a tack driver. Is that the old model savage, with the square rear, when savage used to only make a long action? I would love to see a right up of your load development for that thing when you put some rounds together for it.

JTD
    Yes, it is the old style with square rear. I have some already made ammo that I use in my 24" AR with 1:12 twist I'm going to try first as I'm hoping it is a standard .625MOA or better like the AR is with those loads as one load, the 40 grain load shoots well in almost every gun it is tried if it has a good barrel. I'll do some other load development later as I get time. One of my favorite things to do is load development.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Yes, it is the old style with square rear. I have some already made ammo that I use in my 24" AR with 1:12 twist I'm going to try first as I'm hoping it is a standard .625MOA or better like the AR is with those loads as one load, the 40 grain load shoots well in almost every gun it is tried if it has a good barrel. I'll do some other load development later as I get time. One of my favorite things to do is load development.
    One of my favorites things to do as well. Looking forward to seeing how she shoots.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Christmas 2019

Finally had Christmas. My wife has never bought me anything reloading before. She always gets me cool hunting and fishing stuff but never reloading. She killed it this year, yay me!

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 12-28-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Title
    Premium Member

Christmas 2019

I got my boys, 9 and 12, their first 22 pistols this year. The 9 year old got a buckmark and the 12 year old got a mk IV 22/45. They were ecstatic.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

JTD
    Well, the Savage 112 in .223 shot pretty well. First 3 shots after sight-in were 1/2" at 200yds but the next 2 pushed it to a total of 3/4" at 200yds. Another group with my 40 grain and another 50 grain of the same original recipe that did the 3/4" at 200yds, well, the other 2 did just under 1" at 200yds so easily better than .5 MOA, same as my WOA 24" AR. Except the Savage had the slight advantage over the AR with the 50 grainers and the AR 1:12" twist had the ever so slight advantage with the 40 grainers and both were close enough it could have been a shooter's problem, 1/8" difference at 200yds.

Last edited by 72Camaro; 12-28-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Well, the Savage 112 in .223 shot pretty well. First 3 shots after sight-in were 1/2" at 200yds but the next 2 pushed it to a total of 3/4" at 200yds. Other groups with my 40 grain and another 50 grain of the same that did the 3/4" at 200yds, well, the other 2 did just under 1" at 200yds so easily better than .5 MOA, same as my WOA 24" AR. Except the Savage had the slight advantage over the AR with the 50 grainers and the AR 1:12" twist had the ever so slight advantage with the 40 grainers and both were close enough it could have been a shooter's problem, 1/8" difference at 200yds.
    That’s awesome. Those savages are shooters.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I got my boys, 9 and 12, their first 22 pistols this year. The 9 year old got a buckmark and the 12 year old got a mk IV 22/45. They were ecstatic.

JTD
    I've had a Buckmark, same model, for years and now have a scope on it. Use it for close ground squirrels in Idaho. Great and very accurate pistol. Might go back to the open sights as the scope really didn't give that much of an advantage as the open sights work well with that gun.

Title
    Premium Member
    My wife bought me a Lyman Case Dryer as well. It easily handles a half to 2/3 full load out of my Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. With 5 racks for drying, I usually only need 4. The 3hr timer is a nice touch too. Brass gets above 120 degrees and dries nice. Operation is very quiet too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk