Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand priming

Title
    I like hand priming because I like the feel. My press doesn't provide the "feel"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddydawg75 View Post
    I like hand priming because I like the feel. My press doesn't provide the "feel"
    I'm with you on that one with my RCBS auto primer. I can feel what they are doing and when something is not right.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Camaro View Post
    I'm with you on that one with my RCBS auto primer. I can feel what they are doing and when something is not right.
    Exactly... its a quality control for me.

Title
    And that's why I like the benchtop primer as well. No "feel" with the press-mounted primer due to the mechanical advantage of the press, but I can still easily feel the primer tension when using the benchtop primer without the effort level of a hand primer when doing larger batches. The only downside is that I can't do it while watching TV in my living room. I use my hand primer for small batches though, so there's always going to be a need for one of those as well.

Title
    which model is that? I've seen bench primers and always wondered if that was something I wanted... I always thought I'd still have too much mechanical advantage.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddydawg75 View Post
    which model is that? I've seen bench primers and always wondered if that was something I wanted... I always thought I'd still have too much mechanical advantage.
    I have the Model 9460. They also make an APS version. I found mine NIB for around $75 on eBay. My only complaint is that the plastic tip for picking up primers is a little tight, but my brother uses one at work and he says they loosen up over time. If I end up getting a VibraPrime or FA primer tube filler, then it will be a moot point.

Title
    Premium Member
    And I use the RCBS Auto Primer. Took a little bit to get the feel for when something was not right but now I know what feels good and what does not and can usually fix and still save the primer.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    I have the Lyman hand primer.... and I might never get away from it. When I'm priming a hunting load, I just feel confident. I appreciate everyone's opinion on the bench primers, and I will certainly read up on some reviews... maybe its something a bit faster for plinking ammo.

Title
    Premium Member
    I use the Lee square tray for now. Had a round tray model that worked for awhile but never liked the feel of it. Still have some of the pieces for it. The square tray model has its quirks but I ultimately don’t mind it. When it breaks and if Lee won’t replace it, I’ll get the FA model as I already have the shellholders from the Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    I use the table top lee primer love it saw it at a friends house went home bought one. i was never a big fan of press priming. now my friends love to prime with the press i am a single stage reloader