Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyd's Stocks

Title
    Premium Member

Boyd's Stocks

Well, Christmas is coming and I got a surprising request from my soon to be 15 year old. Last year he got a Tikka T3 Stainless 6.5x55 Swede from his great uncle and killed a deer with it this year. He likes the rifle well enough but is not a fan of the plastic stock and asked for a replacement wood stock. My only luck finding anything has been with Boyd's. Wondering if anybody has good or bad experience with Boyd's Stocks?mo19deer.jpg

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive always been tempted to try a Boyd’s stock, but haven’t yet. Ive read good things about them online. For the newer commercial actions they shouldn’t need any work, except maybe bedding.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve used Boyd’s on 3 guns now. All have fit great. One on a Savage 111, a ruger 1022, and a Rem700 LA. I bedded the savage as it’s a magnum hunting rifle for me but it shot great before and after bedding. The other 2 aren’t bedded but haven’t noticed a reason too. Bang for buck I really like them.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’m about to get a Boyd’s stock for my M1917 enfield I’m working on. If all goes well I’m going to get another for my 98 Mauser 220 Swift. Did you ever get yours? Do you love it?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I’m about to get a Boyd’s stock for my M1917 enfield I’m working on. If all goes well I’m going to get another for my 98 Mauser 220 Swift. Did you ever get yours? Do you love it?

JTD
    I did purchase one for the elder kinder for Christmas. I got the standard grade walnut in the classic shape. The wood is pretty featureless, but the fit was good. Drop in, but a little off at the receiver tang leaving the metal a bit proud. Nada I can do about that. I can say from experience that Fajen was a better deal. My nephew has a laminate Boyd's stock on a rifle of his, I forget the maker, but his fit nicer than the one I got.

Title
    Premium Member
    Jeffrey, I am curious about your Mauser 98 in 220 Swift. I have a Mauser in 220 Swift as well and would love to know more about the rifle. I think it is a custom Yeager built rifle with a Robert W. Hart barrel on it that is both sweet looking and shooting. How do I determine exactly what the action is?

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member

Boyd's Stocks

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
    I did purchase one for the elder kinder for Christmas. I got the standard grade walnut in the classic shape. The wood is pretty featureless, but the fit was good. Drop in, but a little off at the receiver tang leaving the metal a bit proud. Nada I can do about that. I can say from experience that Fajen was a better deal. My nephew has a laminate Boyd's stock on a rifle of his, I forget the maker, but his fit nicer than the one I got.
    I am going to go with a laminate for the 1917. Hopefully will be a “good enough” fit. I can inlet and bed it if it’s not too far off.

JTD

Last edited by JeffreyDeGraff; 01-23-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Jeffrey, I am curious about your Mauser 98 in 220 Swift. I have a Mauser in 220 Swift as well and would love to know more about the rifle. I think it is a custom Yeager built rifle with a Robert W. Hart barrel on it that is both sweet looking and shooting. How do I determine exactly what the action is?
    I don’t know many details on mine. An old friend of mine did some gun work for his old army buddy. In return the guy gave my friend 4 Mauser barreled actions. I helped my friend with some of that work and he gave me the 220 swift one. I do know that the man was a machinist and did the barrel work, bolt handles, and drilling/tapping for scope mount himself, and the other three rifles all shot very well. If I remember correctly, I believe the barrel is a Douglas. It is all parkerized and has a new magnum sporter contour barrel. I bought a Dayton traister trigger for it and then never did anything with it. Next time I am at my mothers house, I will check it out and see what else I can tell about it, probably just the action make and year of manufacture.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Under the front scope mount is usually where the information about the country and year of manufacture are.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Do you mean like under the mount itself? Like I have to remove the mount to see it? Or, there is a number on the bolt side of the action below the mount?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Under the front scope mount is usually where the information about the country and year of manufacture are.

JTD

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"