Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

New Deer getter to me

Well been using a .243 SB2 for the last 20 yrs or so,My son had been graced with a son of his own 6 months ago,about 2 months ago I start a search for a New/used deer rifle for myself so I can hand the .243 down to my grandson when he starts shooting(may be a bit premature) but was taught be prepared.

Well after some searching and wanting a .257 Roberts, I came across a decent priced 1952 Rem 722 in said caliber,it was a bit on the neglected side but my gunsmith said elbow grease and tlc you have a damn fine rifle,barrel is pristine inside,and It still had cosmoline in the action,cleaned it up after total dismantle,lubed and put back together,but a 4x12x40 Vortex Dead hold on it,took to the range and now it shoots 3/4" high at 100 yrds using Rem core-lokt 117 grain round nose and grouping less than 1/2" not bad in my book to be used for hunting,will reload some rounds this winter and use my own makes next yr20191020_174508.jpg20191020_174550.jpg

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Nice looking freezer filler. I’ve come to realize that I don’t like new things.... including guns. Those old stocks really grab my eye.
    Good for you getting “prepared”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you and it started filling freezer today,New property,new rifle and a lil buck to top off a opening weekend,now will hunt tough for the the swamp boss or his competitors,used the first of my combo deer tags, the first is anything with at least 1 3" antler,the second "restricted" is 4 points on one side,so now its mature deer hunting time20191116_155642.jpg

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome rifle! I love it. I agree with Kbeaton, I like older rifles myself. 257 Roberts is one of my favorite calibers too. Nice work on that rifle and that buck.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentstick View Post
    Thank you and it started filling freezer today,New property,new rifle and a lil buck to top off a opening weekend,now will hunt tough for the the swamp boss or his competitors,used the first of my combo deer tags, the first is anything with at least 1 3" antler,the second "restricted" is 4 points on one side,so now its mature deer hunting time20191116_155642.jpg
    It sounds like you’re in MI with those antler restrictions.

Title
    Premium Member
    Yes sir,DNR cant make up the minds most yrs,but what is one to do,but go out do what is needed,we have plenty of deer here,some do need to be thinned out,My Mom was raised in ND in a lil town called Gackle,ain't been there for a few yrs,we normally have a family reunion in Jamestown,use to go Duck hunting with one of my uncles before I was allowed to carry a gun

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentstick View Post
    Yes sir,DNR cant make up the minds most yrs,but what is one to do,but go out do what is needed,we have plenty of deer here,some do need to be thinned out,My Mom was raised in ND in a lil town called Gackle,ain't been there for a few yrs,we normally have a family reunion in Jamestown,use to go Duck hunting with one of my uncles before I was allowed to carry a gun
    I grew up in the top of the mitt. We hunted at my aunts cabin in the UP around a small mining town called Ralph or Feltch. I used to think MI was “the sportsman’s paradise” until I got stationed here in ND. I can’t believe the size of bucks running around out here. With the waterfowl hunting and upland.... I may never leave.