Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 30-40 Krag

Title
    Premium Member

30-40 Krag

Does anyone here have any experience loading the 30-40 Krag. My initial research leads me to want to start with 150gr RN with IMR4895, and 180gr RN with IMR4350. Do you guys have anything that has worked for you through the years? Anything that is a known performer out of the Krag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Following...I have my grandfather's Krag and need to load up some rounds for it one of these days. I've got brass and dies, but haven't done any loading for it yet.

Title
    Premium Member
    Slug your barrel to find what bore size it is. I have one krag I run .308 bullets in but another I use .310 bullets to get it to shoot good. What are you trying to do? Hunting? Plinking? Punching paper? Lots of my shooting with old military rifles is off hand at 50 m in a local match so I load down significantly.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_barron1976 View Post
    Slug your barrel to find what bore size it is. I have one krag I run .308 bullets in but another I use .310 bullets to get it to shoot good. What are you trying to do? Hunting? Plinking? Punching paper? Lots of my shooting with old military rifles is off hand at 50 m in a local match so I load down significantly.
    Looking to make a fun plinking load that could be used to kill a critter occasionally, if it had to.

Title
    Premium Member
    A 150 gr with 4895 is a good place to start. No need to get crazy with speed. Aim for 30-30 type velocities and you will have exactly what you want.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_barron1976 View Post
    A 150 gr with 4895 is a good place to start. No need to get crazy with speed. Aim for 30-30 type velocities and you will have exactly what you want.
    Awesome! Thank you.