Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

Load testing 223 question

So relatively new reloader here. So I basically have two questions. I have 55gr Hornady FMJ’s over Ramshot TAC, CCI 400 primers and wolf gold 223 cases.

My Hornady book calls for a minimum 21.5grs of powder to a max of 24.7. Now Ramshot’s load data off their website states a minimum of 23.2gr to a max of 25.8grs. I understand hornady is erring on the side of caution to be safe. I loaded my first 5 rounds to test at the 21.5gr, but what should be my next step of the ladder? Would you guys jump to the 23.2gr as suggested from Ramshot?

I am not looking to maximize a load and get the absolute most accuracy from the combo just a cheap plinking round with acceptable accuracy, which brings me to my next question. The only 2 guns I have in 223 is my 7.5” AR pistol which is what I am trying to load for, and the other is a savage axis bolt gun. So what rifle should I test my loads in, the savage axis bolt gun that has a scope, work the ladder test up and if it’s acceptable in the bolt gun just feed it through the AR pistol? Or try the ladder test with the AR pistol because that’s mainly what I am reloading for?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I shoot the 55 grain Hornady VMax over Ramshot Tac. The shooting load for my gun is 23.1 grains. I got this unfo from the Western Load Data Manual. I have seen no signs of pressure.

Currently reloading for .380 ACP, 9MM,327 Federal Mag, 38 Special, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, .458 Socom, .223 Remington, 22-250,7MM Remington Mag, 30-06 and 340 Weatherby Mag, 50 Beowolf

Title
    Premium Member
    You will find that the 2 different firearms will be different in the load data - longer barrel verses shorter

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyt2 View Post
    You will find that the 2 different firearms will be different in the load data - longer barrel verses shorter
    I completely agree.

Currently reloading for .380 ACP, 9MM,327 Federal Mag, 38 Special, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, .458 Socom, .223 Remington, 22-250,7MM Remington Mag, 30-06 and 340 Weatherby Mag, 50 Beowolf

Title
    Premium Member
    I would work the ladder up in the bolt action. Once you find what it likes you can try it in your AR and see if it is satisfactory ( as long as you’re not pushing max loads). It may be acceptable in both, but you may need a different load for each. As far as a starting point, I would start with the minimum listed in the ramshot data and work up .3gr at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk