Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

minimum powder load

recently i was loading some 125gr hornady xtp for 357mag. i was using titegroup and had settled on a middle of the road load of 7.3 grains. I had loaded the first 10 rounds and then wieghed next powder drop and it was at 6.3 which was .5 grain below min load shown. I pulled the bullets and fixed the problem but the question i have is what would have happened at half a grain under minimum.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Likely nothing noticeable. Maybe you’d feel a bit less recoil, or the shot would sound a little muted but not likely. Not at .5gr under.

If you had a chronograph, you would have seen a drop in velocity. If you could measure pressure you’d see a drop in pressure. However .5gr or even 1gr is likely not going to cause the bullet to stick in the barrel. At least under normal conditions.

If you were hunting in Alaska and it was really cold, and the ammo was left out side in -50 deg weather, you might have issues with squibs. But that might happen even with a load that is charged normally.

Check out my website!
    www.theballisticassistant.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks Jay i felt that it wouldnt be too bad . Dont think ill see too many days in Alaska at -50 but good info, Im going to check out your website too.

Title
    Premium Member
    I figured ;-)

The website thing is just part of my signature line to get the word out there.

Check out my website!
    www.theballisticassistant.com