Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Frontier vs hornady brass

I’m diving back into my 300WM because I didn’t get the results I’d like. My last loads were with lighter bullets and frontier brass. I’m going over the 200gr mark and was thinking maybe that brass isn’t as good as it could be. I’ve got a good amount of hornady also. Should I switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbeaton View Post
    I’m diving back into my 300WM because I didn’t get the results I’d like. My last loads were with lighter bullets and frontier brass. I’m going over the 200gr mark and was thinking maybe that brass isn’t as good as it could be. I’ve got a good amount of hornady also. Should I switch?

Ill be loading the 212 ELD-X if anyone wants to share a load with me. I’ve got IMR 7828 H4831. H4350 and reloader 22 on hand.

Title
    Premium Member
    I guess my first question is what do you think might be wrong with the brass from Frontier?

What size groups are you getting at what range?

Check out my website!
    www.theballisticassistant.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    I guess my first question is what do you think might be wrong with the brass from Frontier?

What size groups are you getting at what range?

Check out my website!
    I’m not sure there is anything wrong with it. I’ve just never used it before this caliber. I have the hornady on hand so I figured I’d ask if anyone else has experience with it. I loaded the first batch tonight into the frontier. We’ll see how it does.

At 100 yards I averaged 1.04 with 180 gr accubonds. That was my best repeatable group. I’m thinking(hoping) it’ll shine with the 200+ weights.

Title
    Premium Member
    Gotcha, I suspect that you are going to find that it’s more the bullet and not the brass that will tighten up your groups. Not saying that Hornady brass won’t make a difference but it’s typically been my experience that a different bullets and powders make more of an impact then different brands of brass.

1 MOA is pretty respectable, the accubonds are a good bullet and some people get Sub MOA results from them. If your looking for a hunting load, I think you’ve got a pretty decent one. If you want more of a target load, a SMK or Match Burner should really help tighten up the groups.

That’s just my opinion

Check out my website!

Title
    Premium Member
    If you suspect the brass I'd go through and size it all, true your primer pockets, debur the flash holes and trim it to minimum AOL then weight them all to see how much variation you have in weight. I've had my best luck with Lapua brass and worst with Winchester.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    Gotcha, I suspect that you are going to find that it’s more the bullet and not the brass that will tighten up your groups. Not saying that Hornady brass won’t make a difference but it’s typically been my experience that a different bullets and powders make more of an impact then different brands of brass.

1 MOA is pretty respectable, the accubonds are a good bullet and some people get Sub MOA results from them. If your looking for a hunting load, I think you’ve got a pretty decent one. If you want more of a target load, a SMK or Match Burner should really help tighten up the groups.

That’s just my opinion

Check out my website!
    1” isn’t bad I know. Normally it’s my goal for a hunting load. The rifle is the savage 110 LE with the HS precision stock so I won’t be packing it anywhere. It weighs about 12 pounds loaded. But I’d like my bullet choice to be used for hunting if I choose. Thanks for mentioning the SMK. For some reason that bullet always slips my mind.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
    If you suspect the brass I'd go through and size it all, true your primer pockets, debur the flash holes and trim it to minimum AOL then weight them all to see how much variation you have in weight. I've had my best luck with Lapua brass and worst with Winchester.
    I did all the above and it looked great over all. I’ve had bad experience with Winchester brass also except for a buddy’s .270 I just finished. It gave the best repeatable results out of nosler and hornady.