Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Title
    Premium Member

Hornady interlock for elk?

I’m loading up a .270 round for a buddy. He’ll be hunting White tail and elk. I’ve used interlocks on white tail with good results. But are they tough enough for elk? Or do I need to go a different route? Maybe GMX? Or accubond? Barnes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    General rule of thumb for cup and core bullets. Heavy for caliber bullets for larger game. So if I was using a 270 for elk I would pick the 150gr hornady spire point. Ultimately if I were hunting elk I would pick a Nosler partition or barnes tsx over the hornady, but the hornady interlock will work.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    General rule of thumb for cup and core bullets. Heavy for caliber bullets for larger game. So if I was using a 270 for elk I would pick the 150gr hornady spire point. Ultimately if I were hunting elk I would pick a Nosler partition or barnes tsx over the hornady, but the hornady interlock will work.

JTD
    It will be a 150 for sure. Maybe the eld-x? You can’t go wrong with a partition. Although I haven’t had the best luck for accuracy with them in a 300WM.

Title
    Premium Member
    A lot of elk are taken with the eldx, but they are a frangible bullet, better suited for long range shots. I would take an interlock over the eld, unless I was planning on shooting extended long ranges.

JTD

Title
    I've had fantastic results from the Nosler Accubond bullets--accurate and they hold together great. The Nosler Partitions perform great as well, but not nearly as accurate in my experience.

Title
    What about Hornady SST bullets? I’ve had them pass through every deer I’ve shot with them. Some were handloads, some factory loads. And both 150 and 165 grains in .308.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amateur Expert View Post
    What about Hornady SST bullets? I’ve had them pass through every deer I’ve shot with them. Some were handloads, some factory loads. And both 150 and 165 grains in .308.
    That has not been my experience with the sst. For heavier game, such as elk, a stouter bullet would be preferred.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amateur Expert View Post
    Pass through with an sst? My experience was complete fragmentation. I thought I might give the GMX a try also

Title
    Premium Member
    Heavy for bore projectiles, accuracy is for sure desirable, I've killed the vast majority of my elk with Nosler Partitions and a couple with Accubonds.

Title
    For a big animal like an elk, you want a bullet that will stay together. This is an Accubond that was recovered after a quartering shot on an elk last December. It's a 180 grain bullet fired at ~3100 fps from my Savage .300WM. The bullet held together well and was recovered beneath the skin on the opposite shoulder. Most importantly, it shoots half MOA in my rifle. IMG_0076.jpg