Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

6.5 Creedmoor Sig Brass - Loose Primer Pockets

Does anyone have any experience reloading Sig brass in 6.5 Creedmoor? I have about 350 that I picked up. I have sized and tumbled them, and just started to prime the lot. I noticed that some of them have really loose primer pockets. Like I am able to tap a primed case on the bench and the primer will back out of the case. Has anyone seen this before? I have only primed 10, but don't want to do many more if they are all going to be the same. Anyone see this before? Any workarounds?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member

6.5 Creedmoor Sig Brass - Loose Primer Pockets

I’ve only ever used sig brass in 300 blackout. I’ve had loose primer pockets on other brands of brass, but usually after multiple firings of heavy loads. When they reach the point where the primer can be tapped out, I toss them.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    . . . . . "picked up" . . . . . ????
    New,once fired,multiple usage. Info in -- info out. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    These are once fired brass that have not been reloaded. They came from new factory ammo.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle-man View Post
    These are once fired brass that have not been reloaded. They came from new factory ammo.
    Did you notice any of the spent primers being flat while you were depriming the brass. I don’t know about sig, but some factory ammo is loaded way hot.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I did not. I started measuring the primer pockets, the ones where the primers were loose were .2105" The others measure between .2065 and .2105" I am going to check them all and weed out all of the ones that are more than 0.2095"

Title
    Premium Member
    Assuming this ammo was properly loaded (??) it could have been fired in a gun that had a headspace problem.
    However I would guess that it was a little "warm" loaded.
    Was it hard to resize . . . like the brass was bigger than SAAMI specs. A short chamber could also cause this.
    See if you can find the history of the brass for a "good to know" sorta thing. However . . . if some of the pockets are too loose,it's still gotta go.
    Check the brass that WILL take a primer to see if it will properly seat in the pocket also. I know a guy that was gettin' ready to load 100pcs of 50Beowulf brass. He used a primer pocket uniformed that was "just a little" too big. OUCH !! ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2