Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally...

Title
    Premium Member
    I just finished settling in on a 300 win mag load as I had a really accurate 178 grain ELD-X load but after losing a deer with a .270 because of a frangible SST bullet I've switch over to either Accubonds or Federal Trophy Boned for my large animal guns or at a minimum a soft point bullet. Also, if you are interested in using Nikon BDC large game scopes they are essentially setup for 3000fps bullets so I use a 180 grain, at full load which usually does not work for the most accuracy but did in this case, and yardages are pretty close to make the gun quite easy to figure where to shoot after zero sight in at 200yds, then easy range shooting for farther shots. But, if going for longer ranges than say 300yds, get to a range and do some longer shooting to verify scope and where it hits.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Typically I begin with what bullet weight I'd like to shoot, I tend to lean towards heavy for bore projectiles, but not always, just depends on the rifle, barrel twist, etc. Next I'll reference Nosler data if it's available because I've historically had good luck there, if Nosler says it's the most accurate tested powder for a given bullet weight I generally find that to be accurate information and a good place to start. Then I'll look at what velocity range I want to be in, I've found for the most part that a given rifle will be most accurate with any bullet weight at or near a specific velocity. For instance my 6.5 Swede, I've shot all sorts of bullets out of it, but mostly 140gr pills of various manufacturers, so I did extensive ladder testing with that weight bullet, found and accuracy node at about 2850fps at the muzzle fired over a chronograph. At one point I had to fireform some brass for the rifle and purchased some inexpensive Hornady 95gr VMax bullets specifically for this task. I opened a manual don't recall which one but I bet it was the Hornady book) looked for a powder that had plenty on hand of and a charge weight that got me in the neighborhood of 2850fps and low and behold I got lucky. They shot well, sub MOA and went to the same POA as my 140gr loads at least out to 300yds. Win win, now I have a varmint load for that particular rifle. Am I pushing those 95gr pills as fast as possible-NO, but I don't have to mess around rezeroing the rifle and an unlucky coyote won't know the difference.