Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally...

Title
    Premium Member

Finally...

I have a good rifle, good scope, now I need to load. I have my books (still thumbing through) but where do you findrifle specific starting loads with suggestions for powder? Do you build backwards, I like projectiles from (just picking) Winchester and go from there?
    First rifle up is a .300 WM from Savage (111 trophy hunter).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Picking the bullet for the intended purpose is always my first step. Then I look at powders that are going to give me the velocities I hope to achieve. Then start working up a load.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Where do I find the info though? I know rifles shoot some powders and bullet combos better, does Savage have a page for it? Is it in the Bible? What about newer guns?

Title
    Premium Member
    Also, is there info somewhere on making different ammo, saw I want to make the bullet smaller (whitetail) so I can use the same rifle? I hunt deer and elk at same time, I don’t want to carry 2 rifles because of my disability...

Title
    Premium Member
    Id use the same load for each animal. Find a bullet weight you want and then look at the powders. Find a velocity you want to be close to with the least amount of pressure. Then start your load development. I start in the middle. Then load two more sets higher and lower than my starting point. This usually lets you know which direction you need to go. Once I find the two that shoot the closest i then load 5 shots each of everything between them. Yes its time consuming but it also leaves you with a weapon that is deadly accurate. If you miss it's definitely your own fault. Good luck and be safe.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Same load for both animals ?? No problem.
    Pick a bullet between 150 and 168grs. Tons of different powders for that application. Buy and use only large rifle magnum primers.
    Take a close look at the non traditional bullets like the all copper,Nosler Partition,and the Hornady GMX. Remember . . . less lead in the bullets makeup,the longer the bullet,for any given weight. No big deal . . . just pick and load appropriately. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks guys. I contacted savage about a different issue, will let you know what they say too... I love good info before starting... nooooooob lol

Title
    Premium Member
    I couldn’t agree more with they guys saying pick one bullet for both types of animals. Having 2 different bullet/ loads will also give you 2 different points of impact, so you would only be sighted in for one load at any one time. 300win mags generally like the slower burning powders. Any of the load manuals will have good data for the bullet weight you select, and hogdgon web site has tons of load data also.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks Jeff, so the .300 WM with good shot placement, I won’t lose too much meat?
    It was my understanding, each specific rifle had it’s own general likes and dislikes, which is why I was a asking about that part. I like the 2 up, 2 down, so I am sure general info for a .300 WM will get me in the start... you guys rock!

Title
    Premium Member
    The type of bullet you use is usually the biggest culprit of meat loss. Rapid expanding bullets ( Nosler ballistic tip, hornady sst) driven at high velocities will destroy more meat than a controlled expansion (barnes , bonded core ) bullet.

JTD