Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: Primer pockets

Title
    Premium Member

Primer pockets

Im sure this has been discussed before but i missed it .I reloaded some 45/70 fired 20 rounds 3 shots let cool shot great 1" group average but out of 20 rounds 2 did not fire look like primer is to deep is that even possible? Is there a tool or gauge to measure pockets...i been reloading awhile several calibers never ran in to this before

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I use a primer pocket uniformer on most all my brass. That is how I clean the primer pocket before reloading.
    If the uniformer will not scrape(clean)the bottom of the primer pocket,the pocket is too deep,and I trash it.
    I test new brass this way also. The uniformer should just slightly bottom out,but if turned gently,should not cut any brass from the bottom of the primer pocket.
    If there happens to be a high spot in there,it WILL take that down though.
    My little tool is RCBS. ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve never had a primer pocket that was too deep. I’ve had light firing pin strikes but that was the weapons fault. Maybe I have just been fortunate.

JTD

Title
    I have a pair (LG and SM) of these: https://ballistictools.com/store/swa...-primer-pocket

They work great to make sure you're swaging/removing enough crimp when processing military brass, and most importantly, I use it to find loose primer pockets. It functions as a go/no go gauge for both diameter and depth. Fantastic tool!