Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

30-06 for North American bison

Hello all, new to the forum, I can't seem to find an answer so this is my first post.
    My family owns a bison farm, typically to harvest an animal I've always used a 30-06 with 180gr core lokt psp between the eyes. I've decided I don't care much for the factory loaded core lokt anymore and now that my reloading bench is up and running, I'd prefer to load my own ammo.
    My initial thought was to go with something similar to what has been working for me, so I got 180gr interlocks, but I thought maybe there is something better for the job. So a few questions.

What bullet is best for penetrating the skull and dropping the animal in one shot?
    Should I stick with an exposed lead tip like interlocks? All copper like a tsx?
    What is your go to load for the suggested bullet?

Rifle is a savage 111 trophy hunter, 1:10 twist
    I have IMR 4064 and 4166 on hand
    As for bullets I have 180gr interlock and 168 berger vld hunting

I want to know what bullet is best for my application without sacrificing accuracy. I am willing to get different powder and bullets if something is better suited to my needs. Shots will likely be taken within 20 yards, but I would like accuracy at longer range just in case. Thank you for any info guys.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    My favorite load for 30-06 is 220gr Nosler partition semi spitzer over RL22. It works for Big and small critters. If I were going to use a 180gr for large game I would probably use a monolithic bullet such as the barnes tsx, with powders like 4350 or slower.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Any bonded soft point (which the interlock is) or the all copper TSX/TTSX bullets should be fine. Find a recipe that shoots straight with what you have. I haven't taken a bison nor had to shoot through a tough skull but bonded soft points and the TSX line do great in defeating barriers and staying together to get the penetration required.

Title
    Premium Member
    The hornady interlock is not a bonded core bullet.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    The hornady interlock is not a bonded core bullet.

JTD
    I guess I misunderstood their website then. It said "Most feature our exclusive InterLock® design — a raised ring inside the jacket that is embedded in the bullet's core that keeps the core and jacket locked together during expansion to retain mass and energy." While that is not a true bonding at the molecular level it should still serve his intended use.

Title
    Premium Member
    It does do its job most of the time. Driven extremely fast or going through thick bone and such, it can still suffer from jacket separation. Don’t get me wrong, I love the hornady interlock bullets. I’ve killed more game animals with them than any other bullet on the market.

JTD

Title
    Thanks for the input guys, I didn't realize there were any responses past Jeffrey's first reply. After the recommendation and some more research I did order some 220 partitions and I'm excited to see how they perform.

Title
    Premium Member
    Let me know how they work out for you. With a healthy dose of RL22, I’m getting over 2550fps and the load is sub moa.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Man I really want to hunt bison. A dream of mine for some time now. I've even already purpose built a rifle, 35 Whelen Ackley Imp.

That aside, I used to own and load for 30-06 but no more. I always used 180gr Nosler Partitions over full cases of H431 for elk and deer. I hesitate to share the load I shot because it was well above conventional published data, but if you are curious look for a book by Bob Hagel titled "Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter". The load I used is published there.