Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title
    Premium Member
    Lol, I know that rifle like the back of my hand. Shot many thousands of rounds and a whole lot of critters. As the throat eroded away, I kept pulling the bullet out farther and farther to maintain the jump and good groups. I ran out of bullet, even with the heavies.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Depending on the contour you could stub the barrel.
    But to me a rebarrel would be best. Around the same price,could change twist to 1:8,could change contour,switch to stainless,and have it floated. You could also have the gunsmith turn you a 11degree target crown.
    All just possibilities. ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Were those 9 or 10 twist guns ??
    Your choice of bullet will be the most accurate. Nothing wrong with the BalTip . . . especially at the longer ng ranges where the bullet has a chance to slow down a bit.
    The older Leupolds were the VARI-X ones. I still have several. I was never a fan of the non-click scope adjustments . . HOWEVER . . once you get them set,they stay right there. My wife has been using a VARI-X one,3.5-10X50 on her 30-30 AI now for the last 20 years. Still a great scope.
    If you bbl is not floated, if it gets hot it will most likely string 5 shots vertically. These bbls are quite easy to float. If problems persist you might want to give that a try. --- SAWMAN
    This is a 1-10. The scope was great in the northern Michigan woods but lacks out here on the prairie. Floating the barrel maybe the easiest quickest cheapest thing to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Many years of hunting with a model 70 in 243. First whitetail and then PA groundhogs. Always had great success with IMR 4350 with everything from 60 to 100 grain projectiles, did bed the action and float the barrel but other than that it was stock. The single thing that made the most advance in accuracy for me was the OAL. That thing shot great with 10-15 thou jump and anything else opened up the groups big time. Sadly, the throat is gone in that model 70 and it sits in my safe and I'm not sure what will happen to it.
    I just neck sized and set the next batch at 10 thou off. We’ll see how this goes. I only have a lee neck sizer in this cal and I’m not sure if I’m a fan or not. Neck tension doesn’t seem tight enough.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbeaton View Post
    I just neck sized and set the next batch at 10 thou off. We’ll see how this goes. I only have a lee neck sizer in this cal and I’m not sure if I’m a fan or not. Neck tension doesn’t seem tight enough.

As always, if you are not real experienced with loading the bullets close to the lands, please be aware that being against or into the lands can cause pressure spikes. Also, make sure you have enough bullet inside the case, especially if you are already questioning your neck tension. Loading only one in the chamber will help avoid setback. Let me know how this works for you.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Lesson learned about shooting in that kind of heat. I just reshot the same loads and got great results. The ones I neck sized only also produced good results. I have another 243 that I may use at some point and if the full length loads shoot well in that gun I’m not going to worry about neck sizing. I think seating the bullet longer also helped a bunch

Title
    Premium Member
    HUGE swings in temp can have a big effect on ballistics.
    When I lived in Maine I would typically reload all my ammo in the summertime. Our house did not have air conditioning and it would be 75degs inside.
    The problem was . . . . my 223Rem ammo was shot on a 10 above to a 10 below night while coyote hunting in Jan and Feb.There would be a pretty significant drop in velocity until I learned how to load for it. ---- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Glad it worked out!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    HUGE swings in temp can have a big effect on ballistics.
    When I lived in Maine I would typically reload all my ammo in the summertime. Our house did not have air conditioning and it would be 75degs inside.
    The problem was . . . . my 223Rem ammo was shot on a 10 above to a 10 below night while coyote hunting in Jan and Feb.There would be a pretty significant drop in velocity until I learned how to load for it. ---- SAWMAN
    Hey sawman. How much if any difference have you noticed with one brand of brass to another? Say you have a pet load with hornady brass then switch to Winchester?

Title
    Premium Member
    The differences are substantial. I have found that some of the most consistent is Privi Partizan,Seller & Bellot,and Lapua.
    I sort my brass by weight. Win,Fed,Rem,Hornady,etc,etc. And different chamberings . . . 308,243,223/5.56,etc,etc. If the weight of different brass is within 2%,I use it. No matter the headstamp.
    Of course I trim to length,chamfer the mouth,deprime,square primer pocket,debur flash hole . . . then weigh on a digital scale.
    The name of the game is CONSISTENCY. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2