Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamr0ck View Post
    I stand corrected. The reg does say that TSA locks can be used.

Here is the link to the current TSA reg:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

Personally, given the investment made in her rifles, there is no way I’d use a lock which could be opened by another.

Happy to get a phone call and provide the key should the TSA want to inspect the inside of the case rather than wonder who’s been inside the case and whether the rifles were returned to the way we packed them prior to surrender to the airline.

As she heads off to college as an NCAA shooting athlete, I’m interested to see how the team handles air travel with the rifles - can always learn something...

ETA - ULine makes REALLY long zip ties which I’ve seen some athletes use around the girth of the case. Provides a quick visual indication if someone tried to gain access to the case. Make sure you pack wire cutters in another checked bag though as they don’t come off without being cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have flown with both types of locks. If you are in a rush (traveling with my four kids) TSA is much faster. Otherwise I still have to bring the case to the x-ray machine and wait my turn and make sure its ok. Either way I have my own trigger locks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon.trenton View Post
    I have flown with both types of locks. If you are in a rush (traveling with my four kids) TSA is much faster. Otherwise I still have to bring the case to the x-ray machine and wait my turn and make sure its ok. Either way I have my own trigger locks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Out of curiosity do you also secure the firearm into the case with a cable lock to prevent theft?

We are traveling with approx $8,500 worth of rifles and sights and likely gravitated to the NON TSA locks as she is very protective of her ‘babies’

In any case, thx for pointing out my misunderstanding.

Title
    Premium Member
    My muzzleloaders are a CVMA bobcat I have hunted with for over 20 years and a new traditions Shanendoah that I built in my gunsmithing class. Do I have to have trigger locks if I use my own locks on the case? I think there is more sentimental value on the muzzleloaders than what they cost.

Title
    Premium Member
    one last note...

We are in the final stages of packing our daughter up to leave for college and one of the tasks completed was to update the insurance policy covering her sporting equipment. Initially, we used our home owner's policy to provide coverage for her rifles/sights, scopes and miscellaneous items but transitioned to a valuable personal property (VPP) rider about 3 years ago when we started traveling a lot. The contract for carriage embedded as the Ts and Cs for the airline ticket really limited the amount of compensation the airline would provide should they damage the equipment and i wanted to avoid a claim against my HO policy if I could. The HO policy has a much higher deductible than the VPP policy and should Claire's equipment get stolen/damaged, the VPP claim process should be more streamlined and allow us to replace the equipment faster.

USAA won't insure her custom shooting suit nor her shooting boots, but will cover any other component as long as it's worth more than $100. I did have to provide very detailed information about all the covered items, but USAA does not require serial numbers - just make/model/caliber and provide a place to upload a picture

Had never thought of doing this until a fellow athlete had their rifle damaged traveling to the Jr Olympic match and was tied up in all kinds of red tape with the airline over covering the loss.

If you travel frequently - maybe this is worth it to you - it is to us and hadn't given it any thought.

Have fun on your trip!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    My muzzleloaders are a CVMA bobcat I have hunted with for over 20 years and a new traditions Shanendoah that I built in my gunsmithing class. Do I have to have trigger locks if I use my own locks on the case? I think there is more sentimental value on the muzzleloaders than what they cost.

we've never traveled with trigger locks on the rifles - but we do use standard padlocks on the cases. May be best to contact your airline to get their guidance. Imagine that trigger locks are a nice 'Belt and suspenders' approach and couldn't hurt if you can secure the trigger lock without risk to the trigger and mechanism.