Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Title
    Premium Member

Airline approved gun case

I am planning to muzzleloade hunt Washington with my son on Fort Lewis. He doesn’t have a muzzleloader so I am taking 2 with. Any recommendations for a case the airlines would approve of? It will be the first time I have traveled by air with a weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    The airlines only care if it has locks on it. But I only travel with pelican cases. They are about the only ones that the gorillas can’t break. If a pelican is out of the budget the Plano all weather extremes are very good also.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you I was not sure if there was some additional standard they look for

Title
    Premium Member
    You might look into mailing them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Back in the day I used only aluminum gun cases for both rifle and pistol. These had full length "piano" hinges and a locking rod/bar.
    The baggage goons never managed to break one in about 15 trips. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    If I’m not mistaken, the case needs to be equipped with tsa approved locks. I traveled for many years with an skb case. It survived and held up very well.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    We’ve traveled the country with my youngest and her two rifles for years... this is what worked for us:

Pelican 1750 with some of the foam removed
    Placed each rifle (both Walthhers) into a soft case
    Place soft cases into pelican and then LOCK

We chose key operated pad locks ( sourced from a locksmith, not Home Depot) and had all locks keyed the same.

Claires case had 4 places for a padlock. Southwest didn’t care if we used 2 or 4. United insisted on using all 4. I carry spare locks and keys with me

You CAN NOT use a TSA lock to secure the case. Federal law requires you to be the ONLY one to maintain control of the key and hence be able to unlock the case

Each air line has subtle differences for how they handle this. I print off the TSA reg AND the airline reg the day before traveling. I leave a copy in the rifle case and carry a copy with me. Having yesterday’s date on the print out helped me in one ‘discussion’ with the TSA.

Airlines SHOULD Secure your luggage and make you show ID to claim it from the oversized area or the baggage office. The only issues we’ve had was when united placed the case on the carousel instead

Allow a modest increase in time to deal with ticket agents who may not understand and the possibility that TSA inspection will require the case to be opened. I allow +30 mins for BWI and +60 at Dulles.

Make sure your case is marked with your phone number.

May be worth a quick trip to your airport to discuss with your airline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamr0ck View Post
    We’ve traveled the country with my youngest and her two rifles for years... this is what worked for us:

Pelican 1750 with some of the foam removed
    Placed each rifle (both Walthhers) into a soft case
    Place soft cases into pelican and then LOCK

We chose key operated pad locks ( sourced from a locksmith, not Home Depot) and had all locks keyed the same.

Claires case had 4 places for a padlock. Southwest didn’t care if we used 2 or 4. United insisted on using all 4. I carry spare locks and keys with me

You CAN NOT use a TSA lock to secure the case. Federal law requires you to be the ONLY one to maintain control of the key and hence be able to unlock the case

Each air line has subtle differences for how they handle this. I print off the TSA reg AND the airline reg the day before traveling. I leave a copy in the rifle case and carry a copy with me. Having yesterday’s date on the print out helped me in one ‘discussion’ with the TSA.

Airlines SHOULD Secure your luggage and make you show ID to claim it from the oversized area or the baggage office. The only issues we’ve had was when united placed the case on the carousel instead

Allow a modest increase in time to deal with ticket agents who may not understand and the possibility that TSA inspection will require the case to be opened. I allow +30 mins for BWI and +60 at Dulles.

Make sure your case is marked with your phone number.

May be worth a quick trip to your airport to discuss with your airline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You 100% can use TSA locks on the case. But you must have separate lock on the gun itself.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon.trenton View Post
    You 100% can use TSA locks on the case. But you must have separate lock on the gun itself.

I stand corrected. The reg does say that TSA locks can be used.

Here is the link to the current TSA reg:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

Personally, given the investment made in her rifles, there is no way I’d use a lock which could be opened by another.

Happy to get a phone call and provide the key should the TSA want to inspect the inside of the case rather than wonder who’s been inside the case and whether the rifles were returned to the way we packed them prior to surrender to the airline.

As she heads off to college as an NCAA shooting athlete, I’m interested to see how the team handles air travel with the rifles - can always learn something...

ETA - ULine makes REALLY long zip ties which I’ve seen some athletes use around the girth of the case. Provides a quick visual indication if someone tried to gain access to the case. Make sure you pack wire cutters in another checked bag though as they don’t come off without being cut.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamr0ck View Post
    I stand corrected. The reg does say that TSA locks can be used.

Here is the link to the current TSA reg:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

Personally, given the investment made in her rifles, there is no way I’d use a lock which could be opened by another.

Happy to get a phone call and provide the key should the TSA want to inspect the inside of the case rather than wonder who’s been inside the case and whether the rifles were returned to the way we packed them prior to surrender to the airline.

As she heads off to college as an NCAA shooting athlete, I’m interested to see how the team handles air travel with the rifles - can always learn something...

ETA - ULine makes REALLY long zip ties which I’ve seen some athletes use around the girth of the case. Provides a quick visual indication if someone tried to gain access to the case. Make sure you pack wire cutters in another checked bag though as they don’t come off without being cut.

I have flown with both types of locks. If you are in a rush (traveling with my four kids) TSA is much faster. Otherwise I still have to bring the case to the x-ray machine and wait my turn and make sure its ok. Either way I have my own trigger locks.