Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title

6.5 Grendel question

I recently bought a complete 6.5 Grendel upper from Bear creek Arsenal do any of you out there have anything good or bad to say about them, I shot the gun for the first time yesterday first group was decent then groups after that opened up a whole bunch like to 4-5” groups not sure if it’s gun, ammo or loose junky scope lol all I had laying around.
    Ammo was hornady 123 SST factory stuff.
    I’m gonna keep shooting maybe needs a bit of a barrel break in, I ordered brass and bullets last night from mr wes maybe some of my own rolled will shoot better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I have no experience with bear creek. I do have experience with the hornady factory ammo. My rifle, and all my friends that shoot Grendel’s, have had good luck with that ammo. Bolt actions and AR’s all shoot it good to great. Since your first group was ok and the rest started getting worse, I would suspect a problem with the scope or scope mount. That would be the first place I would check.

JTD

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I have no experience with bear creek. I do have experience with the hornady factory ammo. My rifle, and all my friends that shoot Grendel’s, have had good luck with that ammo. Bolt actions and AR’s all shoot it good to great. Since your first group was ok and the rest started getting worse, I would suspect a problem with the scope or scope mount. That would be the first place I would check.

JTD
    Yea I suspect the scope or mounts, all factory hornaday I have ever shot was good. Once it cools down a bit I will get out and shoot some more

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrochad View Post
    Yea I suspect the scope or mounts, all factory hornaday I have ever shot was good. Once it cools down a bit I will get out and shoot some more

Amen on the cooling down. I haven’t been able to shoot much the last couple months. I melt when I go outside, and barrels won’t cool off.

JTD

Title
    I've had a number of Grendels--one of my favorite AR-platform calibers. I've had so-so accuracy with the SSTs and have found that the ELD-M, Nosler Ballistic Tip and Sierra offerings in the 100 to 120 grain range have worked best for me. 8208XBR is my go-to powder but I've had good success wtih AR-Comp as well. My 24" barreled Radical Firearms upper is a tack driver, but my brother returned a couple of BCA barrels because they shot horribly before finally getting one that was reasonable. Definitely rule out the scope/mount before you start chasing accuracy or you'll just be wasting your time. I've had good success with the Burris PEPR mounts on my scope-equipped ARs.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a 20 inch BCA barrel on my Grendel, works fine with sub MOA groups with my handloads.

Title
    Ive had 2 BCA grendel barrels. First one was horrible with any ammo used. They replaced that barrel under warranty and the second one I dont have enough rounds through it yet. That being said, its not nearly as accurate as my 5.56 Aero Precision AR. Ive played with 8208xbr powder with ELD and SST 123 grain bullets with so so performance.

Title
    That was my brother's experience as well...first couple barrels shot terribly (4-6" @ 100 yards on an indoor range, with both factory ammo and handloads). The 3rd one shoots close to an inch with most loads. He had the same issues with a couple Valkyrie barrels and gave up on the caliber, opting to have them send him a high-twist 5.56 barrel instead, and it's a tack driver. I got lucky with my first Valkyrie barrel from BCA and it shoots pretty well. Still doing load development for it, but it shows promise. A lot of people have had some bad luck with the Radical Firearms uppers/barrels and well, and my lone example has been a great shooter, consistently around .75 MOA. My experience with the budget-oriented barrels is that it is very "hit or miss", pun intended. Sometimes you get lucky and get a shooter, other times you get what you pay for. I will say that BCA has been very easy to work with when a barrel didn't meet expectations, which says a lot about their customer service.

Title
    First barrel was more like 12" groups @75 yards. Replacement barrel was about 3-4" last I shot it. Im going to put some more rounds through it and if it doesnt improve then re crown it and try a few more rounds. If still no improvement, I'll try a different manufacturer barrel.

Title
    Premium Member
    they tend to not torque their barrel nuts correctly from the few BCA uppers I have dealt with. Id check there and the scope mount.