Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

300blk for hunting . . .

Down here in extreme NW Fla my buddy and I have now gained extensive experience with the 300BLK. We have been using it for hogs,deer,and coyotes for about 6-7 years now.
    Our application for the chambering is for night hunting with thermal sight attached. I have an older ATN ThOR (640) and he has a newer Armasight (640) plus a NVS that was on his gun but now just used as a handheld scanner.
    His guns are all 16" bbl and are suppressed AR's. My gun is a 16" RARR and a 16" NEF Handi Rifle. I also have a Ruger Mini-14 chambered in 300BLK that I have not killed anything with so far.
    The 300BLK is a great round if you know how to load for it . . AND . . don't try to make it a 308Win or even a 300Savage.
    It will shoot a 110gr Barnes TAC-TX (30231) at close to 2400fps. My buddy gets around 2200fps out of a 125gr NosBalTip. Both of these bullets are super accurate and are great killers of the bigger (250lbs+) hogs,the smaller deer (90-120lb)deer,and will devastate the coyotes if you hit bone going in.
    Our ranges are typically FREAKING CLOSE to 200yds. This,for deer and hogs. We shoot at yotes on out further.
    Take a look at the 300BLK. They are super fun guns. Easy to load for (basically H110),little recoil and the bolt and single shot guns are great with the 220gr SMK at just under supersonic. --- SAWMAN

Similar Threads:
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Had good results with cast from ww gas checked 160 grain round nose over Imr 4198 on hogs up to 200lbs. Furthest shot was less than 100 yards.

Title
    Premium Member
    My friends and I have used the barnes 110gr tac-tx with H110, with great success on deer and hogs. That load has been excellent out of a 16” AR, 10.5” AR, 9.5” AR, and 16” Ruger American Ranch. I would like to try the new 150gr Speer gold dot “blackout” bullet, but haven’t ran across any yet.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Seems to me a great application for the 300BLK would be the younger shooter, some female shooters, and the slight of build shooters. This,for deer,hogs,and even for coyotes where you were not selling primed pelts.
    With some bullets you can get out there to 250 yards with adequate killing power for deer and hogs. For coyotes it would be good for 400 yards if you have the scope to help.
    For this,handloading will help greatly,as will a non-gas gun. There are more than just a few bullets <126grs that work well. Another help to the long(er) range shooter will be the scope with target turrets or a system like Nikon has with a BDC reticle supported by the manufacturers ballistic program.
    More fathers should be teaching shot placement vs a higher power chambering such as 243 or 7-08. Shot placement is the key not a higher power round. If you get this wrong,the child will have to suffer through unneeded recoil and blast overpressures.
    The 300BLK chambering will not do it all. But it will deliver more energy at longer ranges than needed by a big percentage of hunters.
    We have made countless one shot kills on some of the biggest hogs in our area. Not just CNS hits either. A double lung shot on a 200lb+,thick plated boar hog,will put him on the ground in less than 30yds. Some much less.
    Pick your bullet,pick your action,pick your distance,put the shot where it is supposed to be,the 300BLK is a good killer if you do your part. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    in the AR platform, what do you think it better, 300blk or x39?

I never bought into the 300 yet, but might.... someday...

Title
    Premium Member
    If I had a choice it would be the 300BLK for the choice of shooting heavy bullets subsonic or lighter bullets that are great killers of game animals.
    The two chamberings are real close in overall power. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I agree. 300 blackout is a much more versatile round.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    If I had a choice it would be the 300BLK for the choice of shooting heavy bullets subsonic or lighter bullets that are great killers of game animals.
    The two chamberings are real close in overall power. --- SAWMAN
    The 300blk has been my favorite all around caliber for pest control on my property. I have pretty thick forest with trails and a few small clearings. I run a suppressed 9” barreled pistol version using Barnes’s tx bullets a lot.

I think it’s highly underrated by a lot of people.

Title
    Premium Member
    Down my way,on the "redneck riviera",some hunting clubs,with shooting houses on 1/2 -1A plots,where the long shots are <150yds, have outlawed the use of 300BLK's. All length bbls included.
    I suspect the ballistics "guru" of the club has come up with this rule from what he has read on the interweb.
    Personally,I would never try to kill game animals using a heavy/long bullet that is subsonic. Some say they will quickly destabilize when hitting the animal,and tumble. Some say the bullet will "pencil through" not doing adequate tissue damage. (?????)
    I guess that I feel that the bad rep that has stuck on the 300BLK has come from two basic things. #1. Hunters trying to kill animals at the ranges,and with the bullets,at the speeds,that they should not be shooting. If you check the ballistics tables,there are some bullets that fly very well out of the 16" 300BLK. Some will give you a 250yd range that still delivers enough energy,and the bullet still opens well enough,to kill any deer and the 200yd hogs with a shoulder shot.
    #2. Shot placement . . . NOTHING will take the place of this. I told a "hunter" several days ago,if you cannot put the bullet where it is supposed to be with your 300BLK,you most likely can't with your 30-06 either.
    I have been shooting the 300BLK for about 6 years now. I bought my brass already processed. It was cheap. It works great given different head stamps.
    My RARR will put 5 shots into .300" -- .400" at 50yds all day,any day. --- SAWMAN

Attached Images Attached Images
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Plus,forgot to mention,there are quite a few in the industry that DIRECTLY support the 300BLK chambering.
    * Powders for the reloader
    * Bullets for the reloader (some that open at <1600fps and some that open at subsonic vels)
    * Brass for the reloader (although I would just as soon buy processed brass from Wes)
    * Guns . . . single shots,bolts,AR's and/or complete uppers,single shot pistols,and add on barrels (T/C,etc,etc)
    * Any reloading tool needed (dies,case gauges,etc,etc.)
    * Any reloading info needed from most any source.
    * Tons of expierance from long time 300BLK reloaders (this is how I got started)
    No excuses not to jump in if you feel that this chambering will accomplish what is needed in your shooting/hunting experience. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2