Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

270 WSM bullet selection for hunting

Recently acquired a Winchester Model 70 in 270WSM and need to develop a hunting load. I understand this caliber is destructive on deer sized game so bullet selection would be key. Range would be 50 to 300 yards. Anyone have a favorite bullet for this gun?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Then you probably will have to make the choice between destructive and trajectory.
    Meaning . . . you can slow it down . . but then you would loose the excellent trajectory that this chambering has,at 300yds. You can turn it into a 270Win or even a 6.8SPC with velocity.
    You possibly could be less destructive using one of the solid copper offerings. Barnes offers from 85gr ( I use these in my 6.8) on up.
    Do not use the Hornady 120gr SST. They shed their jacket even at the 6.8 vels. The Hornady GMX line might be another option. They are a guilding material and a little harder than the solid copper bullets.
    The .277" bullets are designed for use in the 270Win. Anything much slower (my 6.8SPC) or anything faster (270WSM) will need some expiermentation.
    For your usage possibly a solid copper bullet of between 120 and 140grs. Remembering . . . these are much longer.
    Let us know what you find out. I have a friend that has been trying to sell me a heavy bbl Browning chambered in 270WSM. I would like to turn it into my longer range coyote gun using a lightweight bullet at high velocity. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking along those lines. I'm new to this caliber think I will start with lowering the velocity first.

Title
    I only run Nosler 140 accubonds with a heavy dose of H-1000 I load them for my buddies deer rifles also that combo kills them dead every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrochad View Post
    I only run Nosler 140 accubonds with a heavy dose of H-1000 I load them for my buddies deer rifles also that combo kills them dead every time

Been looking at those. I need a bullet that won't explode on impact at close range. The H-1000 is on my list. What primer do you use with that combo?

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrew40 View Post
    Been looking at those. I need a bullet that won't explode on impact at close range. The H-1000 is on my list. What primer do you use with that combo?
    I started with Nosler BT’s and they would explode on every range I tried them that’s why I went to the accubond and haven’t looked back since, I have shot deer from 80 yds all the way to almost 400 and the performance is exactly the same bang flop.
    My blah blah is over now, I use federal 215’s, and your going to want to be closer to the top end of the load data, those bullets love speed. I have also found that Winchester brass seems to be less accurate, Norma brass seems to be the most accurate I know it’s expensive but it also has good brass life.
    Hopefully I have helped you out

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrochad View Post
    I started with Nosler BT’s and they would explode on every range I tried them that’s why I went to the accubond and haven’t looked back since, I have shot deer from 80 yds all the way to almost 400 and the performance is exactly the same bang flop.
    My blah blah is over now, I use federal 215’s, and your going to want to be closer to the top end of the load data, those bullets love speed. I have also found that Winchester brass seems to be less accurate, Norma brass seems to be the most accurate I know it’s expensive but it also has good brass life.
    Hopefully I have helped you out

You have. I'm not ready to start wowrking on them just yet but in the process of gathering components. I will try those Accubonds.

Title
    Premium Member
    Update:
    I have started with 130 grain Accubonds and RL22 with promissing results. 63 grains produced .53 group at 100 yards 3301 FPS. Max load of 65 grains produced .86 group/3396 FPS. I have not yet chrono graphed either load but will next firing. I could not get the H1000 at any of my usual supply houses and almost didn't get any Accubonds all being out of stock.
    I also have the 140 grain Accubonds to load.

Title
    Premium Member
    I can now attest to those Accubonds with two whitetails down. Fell in their tracks.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the update!!!

JTD