Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: Scopes

Title
    Premium Member

Scopes

Son just bought a 6.5 cm savage evolution, looking for a good scope. Wanting the option to go long range eventually. I know there are a lot of options out there, so any help to point in the right direction is greatly helpful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I am partial to Nikon and if doing long distance I'd pick one up with a bunch of power and parallax adjustment with BDC at a minimum. Best glass I think for the buck. I'd stay away from the standard Prostaff, great for hunting and quicker shots but not for real fine sighting.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    My opinion(s) - - ->
    You can never have enough magnification. As long as you do not go ABOVE 8X on the low end. For several years I shot 600-1000yds using a Leupold 8-25X50. I really could have used another 10X or so.
    Your scope MUST have the third turret. (On a good quality scope you can use it for rangeing also.) It MUST have target turrets easy resetable to "zero".
    Since my long range days I have bought several first focal plane scopes. For some applications I love them. What most people do not consider is that you can change the size of the duplex. I really like this "added bonus".
    Choose your reticle wisely. Consider most all of them. Some are extremely "busy".
    For the longer ranges you will need to add a bubble level to your scope. If your scope is canted just a couple of degrees,at 1000yds it will make a difference.
    Buy the absolute best quality scope that you can afford. A great shooting gun is nothing without a quality scope. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    If you plan to use this rifle as a hunting rifle, and occasionally use it for some long range targets, I would recommend something in the 4-16 , 4-20 range. For my hunting rifles I like the low end of 4 power, for low light and moving shots. 16-20 on the high end will be enough to hit steel at 1000. For dedicated long range target rifle, the more power the better.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Good advice from both Sawman and JDG, only thing I will add is you want a 30 mil tube which will give you more adjustment.

Title
    Premium Member
    Ended up going with a Vortex Optics Golden Eagle 15-60x52 Riflescope. This rifle is only for long range shooting. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    That's a lot of scope.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Camaro View Post
    That's a lot of scope.
    That’s a spotting scope!

JTD