Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Winchester 70 barrel nut system

It’s been in the works but slowly getting to the trial phase. Just got my hands on a RPR factory barrel and aftermarket barrel nut. From my rough measurements, I won’t have to cut the shoulder off the barrel or do any modifications to the barrel nut. Just waiting for funds For a stock that will fit a varmint contour.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Premium Member
    This should be interesting.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Winchester 70, Tikka T3, ruger America, and ruger Precision Rifle all have 1”x16tpi tenons. Multiple companies already make barrel nuts and long threaded tenon barrels for a barrel nut system specifically for tikka T3 and ruger America rifles.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/ specialize in R700 and Savage.
    https://patriotvalleyarms.com/barrel...rless-barrels/ pretty much has barrel nuts for everything else.

Title
    Premium Member
    I can’t wait to see how it turns out. Definitely keep us posted.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Finally was able to get the barrel off my Win70 receiver. Was way more stubborn than I planned. But was able to get a Ruger RPR barrel off eBay and a barrel nut. It was a surprise that it fit so well. I was expecting it to be a tad loose but they barely had any slop. Was able to get the headspace done and good. The only thing I need to measure is the tolerance between the bolt and barrel. Needs to be around .005-.010”. Once I have time for that, it will be time for a range visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Were you able to make this work?

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you for asking. I forgot about this.
    It works great. It’s now setup for predator hunting. As far as accuracy goes. I’ve been shooting a load I developed for my AR308 with 178gr ELD-X and zeroed it at 200yds. For a Ruger RPR takeoff, it’s holding a MOA group but I haven’t spent a lot of time on it. It shots good enough for its intent at the moment and I don’t have to spend time with a new load.
    A few things to think about having access to if you do this yourself. Depth gauges set, a good caliper, and go/no-go gauge. I have a 8 piece match set of headspace gauges. So I’m able to know exactly how much headspace is there.

Title
    That’s awesome. I have a line on a 300 win mag take off and I am going to try it on my rifle. Thanks for all of the info

Title
    Premium Member
    Is there a Ruger RPR in 300WM? I thought they only came in 308 and 6.5creedmore. Just to let you know, the RPR has a barrel nut and as far as I know that’s the only Ruger that uses them right now. I could be wrong but make sure it’s not just an old Ruger takeoff. They have a shoulder on the barrel and they won’t headspace. Rugers have a shorter tenon that a Win70.

Title
    Premium Member
    Oh wow. Just checked there website. They have widened the RPR line. Cool. I’m no gunsmith, so please be careful and use some un-common sense. Would love to hear your adventure. If you need a barrel nut here’s where I got mine.
    https://patriotvalleyarms.com/barrel...uger-american/