Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

The good/bad/evil of a Remington 7600 carbine???

Looking at picking up a Remington 7600 carbine. What should I look for in a pump 30-06?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve got a 7600 in 35 whelen and an older 760 in 35 remington. I really enjoy them both. They are reasonably accurate and fun to shoot. The only draw backs to me, are the trigger and that they are hard to hold steady in a rifle rest because of the wobbly pump. Both of my rifles shoot 1.5” or better at 100 yards, which adequate for me out of a pump rifle.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    The short action in the pump gun was more reliable than the semi-auto's. Had friends with 270,30-06,semi's that gave them all kinds of problems.
    Alot of the poo-poo's that came from the long action pump owners were they were short strokeing the guns. They were also torqueing the forearms while pumping during times of excitement.
    Keep everything lubed with a good quality gun grease. I use Tetra Gun or Reel Lube. If you get a used weapon,tear it apart and you will see the wear spots. Lube there.
    Do not try to jack the loads up too far. Not needed for normal hunting. Crimp your bullets for anti inertia pull.
    Google different mags for the gun. Buy quality or with good rateings. Enjoy. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks guys. This rifle has been a safe queen and doesn’t show any wear at all (yet). I’ve always wanted a pump back in Texas for hog hunting but never got around to it.

Title
    Premium Member
    IIRC the problem with some of the older guns were the guide rails made into the receiver that the carrier slid back and forth on.
    Owners would slick these up and some of the problems would go away. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Never had a 7600 but have had several 760s over the years, all have been 30.06, in fact I picked up another one a couple of weeks back that I have not got out to the range with. All have been problem free and had acceptable accuracy. Only issue was the one carbine length that I had that ate scopes, I could only get maybe 2 hunting seasons before the scope would fail but until it did it was a sub moa shooter.

Title
    Premium Member
    Wondering what is was about barrel length that would determine the longivity of the optics. Maybe a small difference in weight would increase the inertia caused by the recoil.
    Possibly the carbine versions should have only been chambered in the short action cartridges due to the produced recoil ??
    I always wanted a 7400/740 carbine chambered in 243Win. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Could be a number of things. The first that comes to mind is a rifle I have that was drilled and tapped off center. Because I had to use so much of the internal adjustment to sight it in, the scope would become more prone to damage from recoil. I went through 3 scopes before I figured this out. I use Burris signature zee ring now, and problem solved.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Wondering what is was about barrel length that would determine the longivity of the optics. Maybe a small difference in weight would increase the inertia caused by the recoil.
    Possibly the carbine versions should have only been chambered in the short action cartridges due to the produced recoil ??
    I always wanted a 7400/740 carbine chambered in 243Win. --- SAWMAN
    I on' know, but I have an internet friend from other forums with the same carbine that does the same thing.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Could be a number of things. The first that comes to mind is a rifle I have that was drilled and tapped off center. Because I had to use so much of the internal adjustment to sight it in, the scope would become more prone to damage from recoil. I went through 3 scopes before I figured this out. I use Burris signature zee ring now, and problem solved.

JTD
    Checked that, adjustments were always close to center when sighted in.