Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title
    Premium Member
    I have heard of guns that were just brutal on scopes even though they were not chambered for brutal cartridges. I guess the combination of short barrel, rifle design, and the 30-06 make it rough on scopes.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Average "normal" might not ever have the issue. Shoot a few rounds to verify zero then a few more during the hunting season not that much stress on scope. Me it I take it out of the safe and to the range give them a good workout.

Title
    Premium Member
    I like to call it . . . "two way recoil". Any semi auto has it.
    With an empty gun,pull the action all the way open then let it go (don't ride it home). Except for the bolt/carrier stripping a round off the top of the mag,which slows it down some,there is your fwd recoil.
    Much harder on sights/scopes,and their mounting hardware than a bolt,lever,or single shot.
    Most times the chambering only has a small amount to do with the battering action. The moving mass (BCG),how gassed,dwell time,etc,has a lot to do with two way recoil.
    To me,a Rem 7400 is about the worse,even chambered in 308Win.
    If I were to mount a scope on a gun that I suspected the recoil inertia extreme I would do several things:
    1. Drill and tap for extra mounting screws for scope base.
    2. Lapp the base to the receiver
    3. Use BLUE Loc- Tite to secure the screws
    4. Use Burris Extreme Tactical rings. (They are wide and 6 screw + have 1/2" nut) (Use Loc-Tite on these also)
    5. True and lapp the rings before installing the scope. (I have the Brownell's kit for 1" or 30mm)
    This is what I basically did when mounting a scope on my NEF Handi Rifle chambered in 500S&W Mag,that had the bbl cut back to 18 inches and LOP reduced to 12.5 inches. Also my 45-70 and 444Marlin configured the same way. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Sorry gents . . . pic was before I changed the rings with the above procedure.
    Also did the same thing to my 10ga "carbine".

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 07-13-2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added info . . .
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2