Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ahab View Post
    The suppressor also acts as barrel length
    I have heard of this phenomenon. I’ve heard that a barrel with a suppressor will get higher velocity than the same barrel without a suppressor. Not only has it been told to me, but I remember reading it somewhere, just don’t remember where.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I have heard of this phenomenon. I’ve heard that a barrel with a suppressor will get higher velocity than the same barrel without a suppressor. Not only has it been told to me, but I remember reading it somewhere, just don’t remember where.

JTD
    Well I learned this by purchasing a can and learning that what was subsonic isn’t after I put the can on. With regular super sonic loads my POI was about 1” higher than normal. So after some chrono testing it added about 100fps

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ahab View Post
    Well I learned this by purchasing a can and learning that what was subsonic isn’t after I put the can on. With regular super sonic loads my POI was about 1” higher than normal. So after some chrono testing it added about 100fps
    I’m not saying it isn’t true but it doesn’t make sense. A silencer is sucking the gas out from behind the bullet along with any unburned powder. I guess I’ll have to borrow my buddy’s crono and check for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Please post your results.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Basic physics - - -> Increase volume,decrease velocity. The bullet is being pushed down the barrel by the increased pressure behind it. The volume increases when the bullet enters the surpressor,the pressure decreases,bullet speed goes down.
    Have I got this wrong ?? ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Suppressors do not have room for all the gas sent to it so the left over gas after full capacity is still pushing the bullet. Now sub loads have way less gas so this theory may apply to them, but super loads not so much. One the second shot some claim the gas holds up in the can so it is already full. I can’t testify to that theory but I know what my YHM does to my loads