Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

Low recoil 7.62x54R

Well I put together my 12 year old son’s first deer rifle. It started life as a garage hacked sporterized M38 Mosin Nagant. We put a bunch of work into it and now have an awesome rifle that he can’t wait to shoot.

I’ve loaded some light rounds to take to the range this weekend and let him cut his teeth. They are 123gr Speer Gold Dot (.310) with 41.5gr H4895. 125gr Hornady SST (.308) with 41.5gr H4895. 150gr Speer Hot Core (.311) with 39.0gr H4895. 150gr Hornady spire point (.312) with 39.0gr H4895.

I will have a range report by the end of the weekend.

JTD

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    The reduced loads went well. We didn’t get to shoot all 4 loads because it was just too damn hot. This was Big Nate’s first time to shoot anything bigger than .223. He shot a 1.25” and a 2” group at 50yds with the .308” 125gr SST, and a 2” group with .312” 150gr Hornady Spire Point. Recoil was very manageable and he really enjoyed it. Next time out I am going to shoot some too, to get a baseline for accuracy.

The best part of today was when Nate told me he couldn’t wait until he could load some of his own ammo.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    That's cool! Following!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    We got out to the range today to finish up shooting our loads. Big Nate still has a way to go, but I was able to shoot a 4 shot group with each of the 4 different loads. Recoil was minimal, but was surprised that the Speer 123gr .310” gold dot had the most recoil out of all of them. The 125gr .308 SST shot a 3” group. 123gr .310 gold dot shot a shotgun pattern. 150gr .311 Speer Hot Core shot a 1” group. And the 150gr .312” Hornady Spire Point shot at 1” group. All groups were shot at 50yds. I’m going to load a mess of the SST up for practice ammo, once Nate is able to shoot them decently we will start working up a load for one of the 150gr bullets. This rifle build has turned out better than I anticipated and I’ve got one really excited kiddo.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Made it to the range again today. I loaded up 79 rounds of 41.5gr H4895 with Hornady 125gr .308 SST. When I shot this load, it shot a 2” horizontal by 3” vertical group at 50yds, with very minimal recoil. Big Nate shot 25 rounds, of this load today, into a 3” by 4” group. He is getting close. I’m going to work up a load with Speer 150gr .311” hot core that he can start practicing with. The low recoil with big boom has really helped him out, getting used to the rifle.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome!

Title
    Premium Member
    Made it to the range today with some 150gr Hornady .312” spire points over 39.0gr of H4895. We got the mosin sighted in at 100yds and it was printing right around 2” groups. I’m sure the rifle can do better, but without proper load development I’m very pleased with the performance. Recoil is nice and mild with this load. Once the Hornady bullets are used up, I’m going to work up a proper load with the Speer .311” soft points.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Made it to the range today with some 150gr Hornady .312” spire points over 39.0gr of H4895. We got the mosin sighted in at 100yds and it was printing right around 2” groups. I’m sure the rifle can do better, but without proper load development I’m very pleased with the performance. Recoil is nice and mild with this load. Once the Hornady bullets are used up, I’m going to work up a proper load with the Speer .311” soft points.

JTD
    Is he using it this year for hunting?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garand46 View Post
    Is he using it this year for hunting?

Yes sir. Ive since put the rifle in a Boyd’s spike camp stock, and am working with IMR4320 and Speer 150gr soft points.

The metal to wood fit between the rifle and stock was horrendous, so I took it my friend to have it properly bedded. I really like the stock.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Yes sir. Ive since put the rifle in a Boyd’s spike camp stock, and am working with IMR4320 and Speer 150gr soft points.

The metal to wood fit between the rifle and stock was horrendous, so I took it my friend to have it properly bedded. I really like the stock.

JTD
    Very nice! Boyd's stocks usually look great. Maybe this weekend I will load up some M39 loads and adjust my front sight. I want to take some does with a military gun.