Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Full length sizing die set up.

Yesterday, I started sizing a new-to-me caliber, 6mm Remington. I have a used set of Pacific Durachrome dies that I found somewhere. The problem is I don’t have any instructions. Is there a general consensus on how to set up FL and seating dies for rifle, or is it brand specific? Going through my other die sets, it seems like it’s relatively the same but this is a brand I’ve never dealt with before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I've always set the sizing die the same way for any brand.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post
    I've always set the sizing die the same way for any brand.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    And what way is that? I have instructions from three brands here telling everything from touching the shellholder, touching the shellholder and then 1/8 turn more, and even one that says a 1/4 to 1/3 turn more...

Title
    Premium Member
    I set this die up for touching the shellholder plus another 1/4 more. The brass is really working the press, but this cartridge is tapered more than I’m used to. The brass chambers, but I just don’t want it to be sized more than necessary.

Title
    Premium Member
    I only go an 1/8 more. Once it's touching it's not going any farther. No sense in putting more stress on your press than you have to.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post
    I only go an 1/8 more. Once it's touching it's not going any farther. No sense in putting more stress on your press than you have to.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk
    That makes sense to me, thank you for that insight!

Title
    Premium Member
    What caliber? If you can find a pistol caliber that will fit over the neck of your case to the shoulder then you can measure the setback on the shoulder and know how far into turn your die a little at a time assuming you have dial calipers. Really poor man's headspace gauge.

Title
    Premium Member
    Is the brass you are using, fired from the chamber of the rifle you are loading for, or is it just once fired range brass? If it is brass that is fired from that rifle (and hasn’t been shot at 80,000psi) then just touching the shell holder should suffice. What I normally do is try chambering a piece of unsized brass, if it chambers easily then you can set the die anywhere from touching the shell holder to even backed off an 1/8 or 1/4 turn. If the brass is hard to chamber or won’t chamber, then start with the die touching the shell holder, then take the piece of brass and try to chamber it, if it chambers easily that is all you need, if not, screw the die in an 1/8 turn size the brass and try again. If that doesn’t work, then another 1/8 turn and try again. Doing it this way will help avoid over sizing and get you to just where you need to be.

JTD