Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

.224 55gr Soft points

Just got in a thousand. 224 55gr Soft points from Wes and I am needing to do some bulk loading for a few gas guns. I have historically use 25.5 gr of Win 748 powder and 55gr FMJ. Should I expect to see much difference in charge? I am loading for general plinking but wanted the soft points just incase I run across a yote or two. Any pointers or experience here?

Similar Threads:

Title
    For me I did load development side by side the FMJs and they liked different loads. Personally I’d just do regular load development and you’ve got plenty of bullets. My gun loves 22.7gr varget with the SP. plenty light for plinking and accurate

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    Pretty much . . . a 55 is a 55 is a 55. For your application,just stick another bullet on top of that same primer and powder. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    You wouldn't expect there would be much difference, especially with .223 loads.
    I loaded some 55gr HP and 55gr flat base spitzers with the same powder/charge and got less than a 1" difference in groups at 100 yards.
    I also load two different bullets for the .308, one round nose and the other a flat base spitzer, same powder/charge, same bullet weight.
    At 100 yards both give 3/4" groups but the round nose groups are (best I remember) 1 1/2" high and 1 3/4" left of the spitzer.
    In a 7mm Rem Mag, using the same powder/charge I ended up with groups within 1" of each other with 170gr RN, 160gr SBT and 150gr SBT.
    My best answer is try it and see.

Title
    Premium Member
    In my post #3 above I was referring to the safety of the charge weight using different bullets of the same weight. (55 vs 55 . . 62 vs 62 . . etc)
    I have had bullets that weigh the same,from different manufacturers,shoot a foot apart at 100yds. Whatever different 55gr bullet you choose,you could have to tweak the scope. (Make the scope look at where the bullet is hitting.)
    Let us know how it goes. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks all. Loaded up 30 rounds last night with the same powder charge. I'll try them out next time I go out!